2014 KU Woodwind and Brass Day
The Kutztown University Department of Music will host the 2014 Woodwind and Brass Day on Thursday, November 13, 2014. This year, there are more performance opportunities, more masterclasses and more guest artists! This event is open to all high school age woodwind and brass players and their music teachers. Students will participate in ensemble readings, and be able try out instruments and accessories provided by area vendors. Vendors will also provide free instrument check-up and minor repairs. In addition, teachers and band directors will be able participate in special pedagogy sessions.
Parking Information: If you are arriving by bus, please make sure you have the bus drop you off in front of Schaeffer Auditorium (Schaeffer Lane on included map). Buses and equipment trucks are asked to park in lot B-3 after dropping off students & equipment. If you plan on arriving by car and parking all day on campus, give yourself approximately 5 - 8 minutes to walk from lot B-3 to Schaeffer Auditorium. All private vehicles are asked to park in lot B-3. See the campus map for parking and campus building locations.
Our feature guest artist this year is The United States Army "Pershing's Own" Woodwind Quintet (plus saxophone!). The ensemble founded in 1996 is one of the nation's premier chamber ensemble.
More guests artists include:
- Daniel Urness: Jazz trumpet and musician of the New York City broadway show Porgy and Bess. Mr. Ureness is also an active freelancer.
- Dr. Margaret Tung: Horn professor of the University of Akron. Dr. Tung was previously the horn professor at Kutztown University.
- Dr. James Albrech: Trombone professor of the University of Akron.
- Matt Brown: Tuba professor at Montclair State University (NJ) and low brass at Franklin and Marshall College (PA). Mr. Brown also freelances across the Northeast.
- Dr. Stephen Arthur Allen: Associate Professor of Music (euphonium) at Rider University. Dr. Allen is a recorded and published composer.
Highlights of the day's events:
- Mass Woodwind Ensemble and Mass Brass by participants.
- Recital by Kutztown University Woodwind/Brass faculty, and guest artists.
- Masterclasses on District Band Auditions, Auditioning for Music School, Life of a Broadway Musician, Learning the Art of Lead Trumper, and much more!
- Cost is $25 if registered before October 31, 2014. A free t-shirt is included!
- Cost is $25 if registered by November 10, 2014. T-shirt is not included.
- After November 10, please register on-site on the day of the event. Cost is $35. T-shirt can be purchased for $10.
The fee for all registrations should be paid at the venue. Make the check payable to "KUMU" or "KU Concert Bands."Your registration cost includes lunch, dinner, and concert.
Band directors and music teachers - your fee is waived if 5 or more students from your school or studio school are registered by the same October 31, 2014 deadline.