2013 KU Woodwind and Brass Day
The Kutztown University Department of Music is proud to host the 2013 Woodwind and Brass Day on Thursday, November 7th, 2013. This event is open to any high school age woodwind and brass player, or any public/private school and studio teacher who is interested in spending the day exploring all things woodwind and brass. Students will be able to participate in chamber ensemble readings, perform in masterclasses, and try out instruments and accessories provided by area vendors. Vendors will also provide free minor instrument repairs and maintenance advice. Teachers and band directors will be able sit-in or participate in masterclasses, enjoy workshops, and talk to KU woodwind and brass faculty. In addition, we will have multiple performances, highlighting our woodwind and brass faculty and the KU Jazz Ensemble I.
Download the complete schedule of events.
Our feature guest artists this year include:
- Bala Brass Quintet - an exceptional and award winning Boston brass quintet that furthers the art of brass performance.
- Ars Futura - a newly formed mixed ensemble based in Cleveland dedicated to commissioning, performing, and popularizing new works.
We will also have great presentations by:
- Alan Ferber - New York City composer of commercial music. Ferber is known internationally as a jazz trombonist, composer, and bandleader. For the last three years, he has been recognized as one of the leading trombonists of his generation in Down Beat magazine's International Critics' Poll and Readers' Poll.
- Joe Hallman - an energetic and prolific young composer based in Philadelphia. Hallman has been named by NPR as one of the Top Composers under 40. He has also been named Best Musician by several Philadelphia magazines and newspapers.
- Dr. Susanna Loewy - KU's own flute professor will present a Eurhythmics workshop. Eurhythmics is art in teaching rhythm through movement. Dr. Loewy is earning a Eurythmics certification and her workshop will change the way students and instructors learn and teach rhythm!
Pre-register online for only *$25 (walk-in registration is $30); the fee is payable at the venue. Make the check payable to "KUMU" or "KU Concert Bands." This cost covers lunch, dinner, concert, and a t-shirt. There will be a free, public performance by the Arst Futura and Bala Brass Quintet (see upcoming schedule) in the newly renovated Schaeffer Auditorium. Only registered attendees will be guaranteed a seat!
* The band director's fee is waived if 5 or more students from that school are registered by November 1, 2013.