History of Schaeffer Auditorium
Nathan C. Schaeffer Auditorium
Construction for Kutztown State Teachers College's Schaeffer Auditorium began in 1938 by the General State Authority with funding from the Public Works Administration. Schaeffer was part of a large construction program announced by KSTC president Dr. Quincy A. W. Rohrbach who led the school from 1934-1959. The program included the construction of the portico on the north entrance to Old Main, a greenhouse for the study of plant germination and conversion of the existing chapel to a dining hall.
During construction Rohrbach would have to fight to keep the government contractors from painting over Schaeffer's copper dome. Construction crews felt the paint would better protect the dome.
Completed in 1940, the class of 1941 was the first to hold its commencement exercises in the building on May 27 of that year.
The building is named for Dr. Nathan C. Schaeffer. Schaeffer was officially the first student of Kutztown State Normal School and eventually became its third president, serving 16 years. He then went on to spend 26 years as the superintendent of public school instruction for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.