History of Schaeffer

Schaeffer Auditorium was built in 1938 by the General State Authority for the Kutztown State Teacher's College. The hall was named by the current college President, Dr. Quincy A. Rohrbach for the previous President Dr. Nathan C. Schaeffer. At the time, when the enrollment was only 1200 students, the 34,000 square foot hall was designed to be the primary building for all major school gatherings. Today, at almost 12,000 students, Schaeffer Auditorium is still the only large performing arts space on campus.

After a major renovation Schaeffer Auditorium re-opened in Sept. 2013 as a grand performing arts center. With a seating capacity of approximately 826, the hall is used daily for university gatherings, presentations as well as  for KU Presents! performances.  The building also houses the offices for KU Presents!, the main box office for the entire campus, a black box theatre, dressing rooms, a green room and production area. The new music wing includes music classrooms, 2 rehearsal halls, several practice booths, a music library and instrument storage.

To inquire about renting Schaeffer Auditorium click here. To request our tech specs, please contact Greg Kokolus at 610-683-4522.

Schaeffer Auditorium