Bookmark and Share

Military Funding and Aid

Military Funding

 The military supports its soldiers and families in many different ways with a variety of benefits.  If you will be using one of these benefits, you will need to reach out to us after you receive your billing email notification, and advise us of the benefit type, as well as the potential amount EACH Semester. We may be able to defer the portion covered, if the funds are being released directly to the University on your behalf.  Benefits sent directly to the soldier, or family of the soldier will not be deferred for arrival and payment should be made to KU by the appropriate due date.  Click here for information regarding military educational benefits and coverages.

Chapter 33 benefit amounts are dependent on active duty time, and can range from 40 to 100 percent - a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility is required to defer any costs for arrival from the VA for tuition and fee costs only. Housing and Meals must be paid to KU by the appropriate due date, those payments while included in the benefit, are sent home to the soldier and cannot be used for deferment.

Army/National Guard TA requires classes to be entered into the Go Army Ed portal, invoice to be uploaded as well as a Degree Plan (see the Registrar's Office KU Certifying Official for assistance) and the student print the approved "Army Tuition Assistance Authorization", sign it and supply it to us by the due date.  This benefit offers limits, and while a student has been awarded or approved for funding, the Authorization form is the only item that shows it will be released and able to be invoiced by KU.

EAP is another benefit a National Guard member may receive.  The Bursar's Office will receive a roster of approved students about one month prior to the start of a term.  Please contact the Bursar and supply proof of this benefits approval by the due date in order to defer the costs it may cover.

ROTC scholarships are awarded by the Army.  The Bursar's Office is notified of these and they are added to the student's Financial Aid package and reported as a scholarship.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation - Veteran's with Service-connected disabilities - The Bursar's Office is notified of the students eligible ( by the VA office) and those students are deferred for the tuition and fees.

*All students receiving military benefits must know it is their responsibility to make the choice of which benefit they want to use if they are entitled to many.  In MOST cases, aid cannot exceed the full time costs of tuition and fees at the in-state rate.  Review your benefits directly with the military if you have questions or concerns.

  • Soldiers, or dependents, using Veteran's benefits MUST see and complete a VA Benefits Release Form  with the KU Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office. This MUST be done every year. Supply the completed form to the Registrar's Office - Attn: KU Certifying Official.

Military Aid

The military offers several programs that enable enlistees to earn and save money for college - The Montgomery G.I Bill, Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP), Education Assistance Program (EAP), signing bonuses and "kicker" programs. Because career training, educational opportunities and benefits are different for each branch of the military, we suggest that you talk to a local recruiter about specifics for the branch of the military in which you are interested.

AmeriCorps is a national service program where participants earn education awards in return for community service. Workers receive stipends for living expenses and an education award for up to two years of full-time service. Students can work for AmeriCorps before, during, or after they go to college.

Military Scholarships and other Resources