College of Visual and Performing Arts Scholarships
College of Visual and Performing Arts scholarships are awarded to full-time undergraduate students on the basis of merit and/or financial need, according to specific criteria established by the donor in consultation with the Kutztown University Foundation. Academic departments select scholarship recipients, and not all scholarships are available every year.
Following acceptance to the university and program of study, which may require successful completion of a portfolio or audition, new students are automatically considered for any scholarships for which they meet the selection criteria. Several scholarships require a special application procedure; click on the name of the scholarship for more information. Applicants should carefully prepare and submit materials by the deadline in the guidelines to ensure best possible consideration.
Additional scholarships are offered in the Admissions, Athletics, College of Business, College of Education, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Financial Aid, Freshman, Honors, and Miscellaneous categories.
Art Scholarships are awarded to art education, communication design, crafts, or studio art majors.
- David Theodore Lehman Endowed Art Scholarship Established through the estate of David Theodore Lehman to provide a scholarship for a student majoring in art education, communication design, crafts, or studio art.
- Ruth B. DeFrancesco Scholarship in Art Established by a bequest from Ruth B. DeFrancesco to provide scholarship assistance to freshman students majoring in art education, communication design, crafts, or studio art.
Art Education and Crafts Scholarships are awarded to art education or crafts majors.
- Doris New Grandon Scholarship Established by Doris N. Grandon '44 to provide scholarships to art education majors who have achieved an outstanding academic record, demonstrate financial need, and have completed at least 30 credits.
- Edward J. Griffin Art Education Scholarship Established by Edward J. Griffin '54 to support a freshman student majoring in Art Education who demonstrates financial need.
- Helen Hughes-Lehman Scholarship Established by David T. Lehman (husband and former Kutztown University art professor) and the estate of Helen Hughes-Lehman to provide recognition and assistance to outstanding art education students.
- John E. and Barbara A. Stolz Honorary Scholarship Established by John E. and Barbara A. Stolz to provide a scholarship for a sophomore (or higher) student majoring in crafts with a specialty in wood who demonstrates academic excellence and financial need.
- John and Perma Dreibelbis Art Education and Crafts Scholarship Established by John and Perma Dreibelbis to provide a scholarship to a freshman student majoring in art education or crafts who demonstrates financial need.
- Mary Grace Wible Scholarship Established in memory of Mary Grace Wible, retired art education professor at KU, as a bequest of her estate to provide a scholarship to a Pennsylvania resident student of need, majoring in art education.
- Ron DeLong Art Education Scholarship Established by Ron DeLong '72 in appreciation for assistance he received as an undergraduate student to provide scholarship assistance to a freshman art education major who demonstrates financial need.
- Susan Allport-Schneider Scholarship Established in recognition of and appreciation for Susan Allport-Schneider, emerita professor of art education and crafts, for the contributions she made as a teacher and department chair, and through collaborative projects she developed with schools, museums, and other public institutions. Established to provide a scholarship to a senior art education or crafts major who demonstrates commitment to scholarship, artistry, and teaching.
- Thomas F. Schantz Endowed Scholarship Established by Thomas F. Schantz, emeritus professor of art education, to provide recognition and financial assistance to outstanding freshman art education students.
- Wilson-Brown Endowed Scholarship Established to assist an art education, elementary education or library science student who demonstrates financial need.
Communication Design Scholarships are awarded to communication design majors.
- Communication Design Scholarship Established by faculty and alumni to provide scholarship aid to a freshman communication design student who shows exceptional talent as determined through the admissions process.
- Craig S.M. Hunter Memorial Scholarship Established by friends, family, and Donovan Advertising in memory of Craig S.M. Hunter '87 for a communication design major who did not enter college directly from high school, has worked for at least one year, completed at least 65 credits, and should be physically fit.
- Deborah A. Brandt Communication Design Scholarship Established by Deborah A. Brandt to provide recognition and financial assistance to female undergraduate communication design students who demonstrate financial need and outstanding artistic abilities.
- John K. Landis Honorary Scholarship Established by colleagues, friends, and former students to serve as a testament to the dedicated service John Landis gave to the development of the communication design program and to the committed support he gave his students, to provide a scholarship for a freshman communication design major.
- Karen L. Anderson Memorial Scholarship Established in memory of Karen L. Anderson by Mr. and Mrs. Richard Anderson (parents) and friends to provide scholarships to an outstanding junior communication design major with a concentration in graphic design who demonstrates financial need.
- Klunk & Millan Communication Design Scholarship Established by James S. Klunk to provide a scholarship for an outstanding communication design major.
- Morning Call Scholarship Established by The Morning Call newspaper to provide scholarships to communication design majors who demonstrate financial need.
- Volume Squared Scholarship Established by KA Pang to provide a scholarship for an outstanding sophomore or junior communication design major.
Communication Studies Scholarships are awarded to communication studies majors.
- Deane Lenhart Memorial Scholarship Established in memory of Deane Lenhart (former professor) by Robert Lenhart (husband), family and friends to provide scholarships for communications studies majors with an interest and background in dance.
- E. Annette Mazzaferri Robertson Communication Studies Scholarship Established by John J. Robertson, M.D. in memory of his wife, E. Annette Mazzaferri Robertson, Ph.D., to provide scholarship assistance to a communication studies major who has achieved an outstanding academic record and demonstrates financial need.
- Sean Christopher Cieri Scholarship Established in loving memory of Sean Christopher Cieri by his family and friends to provide scholarship assistance to a freshman student majoring in secondary education or communication studies.
- Speech Communications Endowed Scholarship Provides a scholarship for a student of need who is majoring in communication studies.
Electronic Media Scholarships are awarded to electronic media majors.
- Bradley D. Rahn '83 Scholarship Established by Mr. and Mrs. William J. Rahn (parents) and Mr. and Mrs. T.W. Proudfoot (grandparents) in memory of their son and grandson, Bradley D. Rahn '83, to provide scholarships for hard-working upper-level electronic media students who are active in extracurricular activities.
- Electronic Media Alumni Scholarship Established by Christopher M. Murphy '95 for the purpose of providing scholarship support to an upper-level student majoring in electronic media who is active in departmental activities.
- Hearst Foundation Scholarship Established by a grant from the Hearst Foundation to provide annual scholarships to two students: one majoring in English professional writing, and one majoring in electronic media.
Mosaic Electronic Media Scholarship Established by EM alum Matthew McKernan '97 to provide recognition and financial assistance to outstanding undergraduate students enrolled or planning to enroll at Kutztown University.
Fine Arts Scholarships are awarded to studio art majors.
- Fine Arts Incentive Scholarship Established by visual arts friends and alumni to provide scholarship support for students pursuing a degree offered by the Fine Arts Department.
- Michele M. Russo Memorial Scholarship Established by Nancy and Michael Russo (parents) in memory of Michele Russo (former student), to assist a studio art major who demonstrates financial need.
- Sandra Corpora Presidential Scholarship for Art Studies Established by Sandra Dickinson Corpora '69 to provide scholarship assistance to a studio art major who demonstrates exceptional achievement in studio courses, a strong academic record, and professional development in the arts.
Music Scholarships are awarded to students from all majors who participate in music ensembles at Kutztown University. However, music majors receive priority consideration.
- Calvin E. Afflerbach & Mamie H. Afflerbach Scholarship Established by the estate of Mamie H. Afflerbach (Hartman) '20 to provide scholarships based on musical achievement, academic standing, and financial need for students in music performance ensembles.
- Department of Music Endowed Scholarship Established by music faculty members to provide scholarships to music majors who perform in ensembles and take private lessons.
- Dorothy S. Barbera String Scholarship Established by Aceste J. Barbera, professor emeritus of music, in loving memory of his wife, Dorothy S. Barbera, to provide scholarship assistance to a student who is an accomplished string instrumentalist, preferably a violinist.
- Earl L. Mayberry Music Scholarship Established in memory of Earl "Jim" Mayberry, a dedicated professor of music (1967-1984), by family and friends to recognize exemplary commitment and accomplishment by a student majoring in music or music education who has completed 12-20 credits and plays trombone.
- Edwin Schatkowski Music Scholarship Established by family and friends in celebration of the retirement of Dr. Edwin Schatkowski (former chairperson and professor of music) to recognize an outstanding student in the area of music performance.
- Esther F. Smith Scholarship Established by Samuel P. Smith '43 (former president of Kutztown University Foundation) in memory of his mother, Esther F. Smith '13, to provide a scholarship to a music major, with preference given to students studying piano.
- Gary and Laree Trollinger Scholarship for a Promising Music Educator Established by Laree Trollinger, former Kutztown University music professor, to provide a scholarship for a junior year music education major who demonstrates exceptional academic achievement, strong aptitude in a performing area, proficiency in piano, and a commitment to teaching in the schools after graduation.
- Martha L. Hafer Endowed Scholarship for Jazz Studies Established by Martha L. Hafer to provide scholarships for students performing in the University Jazz Ensemble.
- Reid F. Lessig Scholarship for Bands Given annually since 1994 by the Graduate Organization of Bands in memory of Reid F. Lessig '72, one of the founders and most active members of the G.O.B., to provide scholarships to current students who are members of the marching unit, concert band, or wind ensemble.
- R.G. Wells/Kutztown University Jazz Band Scholarship Established by Richard G. Wells, former director of the Kutztown University Jazz Band, to provide scholarship support for a sophomore or junior member of the Kutztown University Jazz Band.
- Rudolf and Flora M. Wertime Music Scholarship Established by Selma W. Thomson (emerita professor of music) in memory of Rudolf and Flora M. Wertime to provide scholarships to entering freshmen majoring in piano, voice, violin, viola, cello, flute, clarinet, oboe, or bassoon.