Bookmark and Share

Guide for First Time Students

Below please find information that is helpful to all first time students, freshman, transfers and graduate students.  While some items may not pertain to graduate students (parent plus loans for example), all other information applies - such as KU email is our formal method of notification only, billing is done electronically and non payment may result in removal of a schedule, and so on.  All policies and procedures apply to all students.

Family Connections Powerpoint - We understand that during the Family Connections program there is so much information and it can be overwhelming.  Please feel free to view the powerpoint we used again at your leisure, and email us with any questions!  We are here to help  you and the student be a successful Golden Bear!  For student specific guidance please remember we need them to complete a Consent to Disclose each year!

Dear Fall 2014/Spring 2015 KU Student and Family,

We are super excited you have made the choice to attend Kutztown University! We know you will love this campus as much as we do. Now that the decision has been made to grow with us, I am sure lots of questions come to mind. Some questions are fun - what do I need for my residence hall room, what will the food be like, will I like my roommate and my teachers, what events will be on campus, how tough are the classes, and more. Some not so much - how will I be billed, how will I pay for this, and lots of other "money" questions.

We want to address common questions that come to us from new students (freshman and transfer students) and their families. Please take a minute to read this and keep it as a resource for the year. It will help you be prepared, secure your class schedule, take advantage of payment plans if needed, and have aid disbursed in a timely manner. We will discuss our process for billing, payment options, refunding methods, military benefits, brief financial aid, and office contacts. As always, you can call or email us with any questions you may have.

NEW information for NEW students

Federal regulation changes won't allow for aid to show if you have not submitted your Final High School Transcript to KU.  Please ensure this has been requested with a sense of urgency to be sent to KU.  Additionally, now is a great time to also ensure the MPN and Entrance Counseling (as listed below in the Fin Aid section) are completed.  Once all three items are done/received, we can submit your aid for certification and show it as authorized on your MyKU account.  We understand that some students graduated a bit later than usual due to unusually severe winter, and that those Final HS Transcripts could be later than usual.  For these students, please email so that we can assist you in calculating your costs owed over and beyond the anticipated aid - this way you can still meet the due date.  If you prefer to calculate this yourself, please note that your aid is shown for the academic year, so only use half.  For Stafford Loans reduce the loans by 1.1%, and for Parent Plus Loans reduce those loan amounts by 4.3%.  These reductions are for origination fees the lender (government) withholds prior to disbursement.   We are here to help!

-Wendy Pursell, Director of Student Accounts


This is the online portal students will use for almost EVERYTHING.  It is located online at

Billing Process

Kutztown University E‐BILL's! We will not send snail mail paper bills home to students. Students need to make payment AND their Intent to Attend in order to secure their schedule.  Sample invoice

  •  Students will receive notification to their KU email account (our formal method of notification) indicating that their bill is ready to view, print if necessary and pay (item is a pdf document). Payments can be made online OR in our office with a check or cash. If payments are not posted by the due date, class schedules may be removed for non‐payment.
  • Intent to Attend - ALL KU students will need to, in addition to payment, make their Intent to Attend each semester they attend KU. This action indicates to us that the student is definitely planning on coming. It allows financial aid to be received on the student's behalf and be disbursed. This coupled with payment of the amount due - will secure the student's class schedule. This action item will be available in MyKU on the Student Center page AFTER we notify students that the Fall 2014, or Spring 2015 bills are ready to view and pay.
  • Fall 2014 Email notifications will occur by around July 14, 2014. Due date 8/1/14.
  • Spring 2015 Email notifications will occur about Dec. 4, 2014. Due date 1/2/15.

Payment Options

We accept a wide variety of payments at KU. We offer a payment plan through Tuition Pay by Higher One and work closely with the Office of Financial Aid on campus.  More about making payments

Payment Plans

We are pleased to offer payment plans with Tuition Pay administered by Higher One. More about payment plans.

Withdrawals / Leave of Absences

While not something to bring up now, we know things can occur that may cause a student to have to withdraw from school or take a leave of absence.  We encourage all students to view the Refund Policy, and those associated with housing, meals and Financial Aid.  Any changes to a students schedule can change their status and eligibility.  For example, Title IV regulations mandate that a % of aid be returned if a student drops below their current status or withdrawals - this could impact previously released refunds from overpayment, and these may need to be returned.


A student may receive a refund if payments exceed charges. This occurs for a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to: financial aid received is more than the bill, class withdrawal during the drop/add period changing student from full time to part time (your financial aid may change), withdrawal from school after paying the bill (your financial aid may change and could be returned). Refunds are issued at KU through a Golden Bear Debit Card refund program. Refunds are issued no sooner than after the conclusion of the Drop Add period (increased to 8 days this Fall 2014) and full eligibility is run for aid purposes.  For Fall 2014 refunds are expected to start the beginning of the 3rd week of school due to the increased Drop Add period.

Financial Aid

Financial aid assists you in the payment of your tuition bill. This includes, but is not limited to; Stafford Loans, Parent Plus Loans, alternative loans, grants (state, Pell and other), scholarships and waivers. Loans are funds that must be repaid, most often with interest that varies by lender. Grants, scholarships and waivers are generally funds that do not have to be repaid. Other aid includes military benefits - however these do not show as financial aid on your bill (see later).

  • Students should view their MyKU page - a checklist will be available noting the items outstanding and necessary to receive aid. Respond with a sense of urgency to all aid required matters. Verification is a common request. Non‐compliance with this request will result in aid not showing and not disbursing. Do not wait on these items.
  • Entrance Counseling and MPN's - Loans require Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Notes (MPN's). 

Stafford Loans are the most common awarded from the FAFSA, as well as Parent Plus loans (awarded based on application and approval). If these items are not completed - the aid will not be released to us. You may then be responsible for payment. Parents will complete their own MPN for approved Plus loans.

  • Stafford and Parent Plus LOANS are federal loans -
  • Perkins Loans require their own Entrance Counseling and MPN. See the FA website for details.
  • When a student leaves school full time, or graduates, BOTH loans will need Exit Interviews completed and a repayment schedule made with both separately.

Financial Aid & the invoice

If financial aid is not showing on your invoice, my office cannot anticipate the funds (reduce your amount due). You will want to check MyKU for outstanding items, or contact Financial Aid (610‐683‐4077 or to follow up and see if they can offer a deferment for the account. All items required must be satisfied for a deferment to be considered. Financial Aid eligibility must be met as well. If aid cannot be considered, you will need to entertain other payment options, such as the payment plan until the matters are resolved. Financial Aid will supply approved deferment requests to my office for processing. They may suggest the payment plan if needed. Any payments made to the payment plan that eventually exceed your charges would of course be refunded to the student upon receipt.

Military Funding

The military supports their soldiers and families in many different ways with a variety of benefits.  More information on military funding and aid.

Consent to Disclose (CTD)

Please know that once a student enrolls at KU, they are protected by FERPA. This means simply, that without the student's permission, we cannot release information regarding the student's account to anyone, even a parent. This includes a balance due, aid disbursement items, passwords, course registrations, grades and more. We encourage all students to work with their family and complete the Consent to Disclose form if needed which is specific to our office operations. Please know we understand the assistance many parents offer their children, but we must remain compliant with these federal regulations.  A form is needed each academic year.

Third Party Billing

We cannot bill third parties, such as college funds. You will need to print the invoice from MyKU and supply it to the third party. The logo and necessary information will print on this invoice and is compliant with 529, TAP and other college fund sources.  Please share a copy of any requests for payment from TAP or 529 plans, that will allow us to process a deferment for the student and, if the amount is sufficient, secure their schedule since we know you can't control when they will print and mail the check.  This can be faxed to our office or scanned and emailed BEFORE the due date.

Who do I contact?

Have a question but not sure who to contact or what office handles what service?  Find important contact information for a number of our offices that are key to the new student process.