Bookmark and Share

How to Apply - Transfers

Students transferring from another institution, returning KU students who attended another institution after leaving KU, and second degree students should follow the application instructions below.

Returning KU students who did not attend another school since leaving KU should reapply for admissions through the Registrar's Office.

Admissions Process

Submit all admissions application materials to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions unless otherwise noted.

Application Checklist

  • Submit an electronic or paper application and supporting materials by deadline date.  You may apply early in the semester preceding the semester you want to enroll.
  • $35 processing fee (non-refundable)
  • Final official high school transcript showing graduation date.  GED score reports must be sent directly from the Department of Education.
  • Submit official SAT and/or ACT score report at time of application if you have completed fewer than 12 college-level credits.
  • Submit official college transcripts directly from all institutions, current and previously attended.  All transcripts from foreign institutions must be translated by an approved evaluation agency.  See Credits from Non-US Institutions.
  • Submit supplemental material, if required (portfolio, audition, or PAPA results - education majors only)

Track your application status at any time using your MyKU student portal.  Your MyKU login credentials will be mailed to you in your application acknowledgment letter.

Check the email that you provided us in your application periodically for announcements and application updates.

It is the applicant's responsibility to supply the Office of Undergraduate Admissions with the necessary documents listed to complete their application. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reserves the right to withdraw an application if the required information to complete the file is not received by the respective deadline date.

Application Review

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reviews applications on a rolling basis until we reach capacity; some programs have limited availability. Applications are accepted for Spring and Fall semesters only. Applications are reviewed when application, fee and all required documents are received. Our academic programs require students to meet our Transfer Admissions Criteria. Applicants who do not meet admissions requirements for a higher-criteria major at the time of review cannot be admitted into that major. However, they can be considered for a major that they are eligible for and later request that our office re-evaluate their application after they meet the requirements for the higher-criteria major.

Transcripts and Transfer Credit

  • Transcripts must be official and sent directly from the Registrar's Office (or other responsible office) to Kutztown University Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
    • Official electronic transcripts are accepted when sent directly to us from the institution
    • Grade reports, faxed transcripts, and scanned transcripts are considered unofficial and are not accepted
  • Official transcripts must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the end of each semester that coursework was attempted.
  • Transferable credits are only considered from schools that are regionally accredited by one or more of the below organizations. 
    • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
    • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
    • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Transfer credits are considered for college-level courses passed with a 'C-' or higher that are comparable to KU courses (some programs may require a 'C' or higher for major courses and certain other courses).  Some courses passed with a D may transfer - See ACADEMIC PASSPORT.  Remedial and developmental courses are not transferable. 
  • KU does not have a maximum transfer credit limit and we will transfer in as many credits as possible.  However, keep in mind that most KU degree programs are 120 credits and all undergraduate students must meet our Graduation Requirements to earn a KU degree. 

Credits from Non-US Institutions: Applicants who wish to have transferable credits evaluated must have their foreign documents (high school and college transcripts) translated into U.S. educational equivalency by a recognized evaluation agency. You MUST submit a course-by-course evaluation. The agency must forward your official evaluation equivalency report(s) directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The cost of such service is the sole responsibility of the applicant.  Below is a list of recognized evaluation agencies.  

AP and CLEP: Non-traditional learning achieved through AP and CLEP can be reviewed for academic credit. AP and CLEP scores will not be taken from high school or college transcripts. An official score report must be sent from the College Board directly to Testing Services, Kutztown University, Room 201, Graduate Center, P.O. Box 730, Kutztown, PA 19530.  Grades of '3' or higher on some AP exams and scores passed at the 50th percentile for CLEP may be considered for credit at KU.

Military and DANTES (DSST) Transcripts: DANTES (DSST) exams, military training, coursework, and specialty instruction can be reviewed for academic credit according to ACE guidelines. Submit official military transcript(s) to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Official military transcripts are evaluated through the Registrar's Office upon acceptance to the University.  Visit our Veterans Admissions webpage for additional transcript, benefits and scholarship information.

Credit Evaluations

  • Applicants can determine if and how courses transfer by using our online TRANSFER COURSE EVALUATION tool.  Schools and Courses not listed on our online tool are evaluated through the Registrar's Office following acceptance.
  • Applicants who are offered admissions can access their preliminary transfer credit report (TCR) through their MyKU student portal.  Preliminary evaluations are updated following review by our Registrar's Office, and also when new coursework is submitted.
  • Transferable courses may or may not apply to your degree program.  The academic department determines how transferable credits apply to a degree program following acceptance.
  •  Applicants can self-determine how their transferable credits may apply to their degree program by matching their transferable courses against the program checksheet for their academic major.  You can find the current program checksheet for your major by visiting the Academic Department's webpage - click on 'Visit Department Site' - locate checksheet.  

Notification of Offer of Admissions

  • Applicants offered admission to Kutztown University must submit a non-refundable $200 Advanced Registration Deposit to secure their seat in the class, apply for on-campus housing (if eligible), and register for a Transfer Connections orientation session where students receive individual advisement and register for classes.
  • All Accepted Students must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in all coursework completed and in-progress to maintain their offer of admission.  Higher-criteria majors require students to maintain a higher GPA.

Frequently Asked Questions

Check out our FAQ section to find out if your GPA transfers, details about our 10-year rule, campus housing, and more!