What to Bring to Campus
The information on this webpage will help you to plan what to bring from home and pack in your luggage and also what to purchase after you arrive. KU residence halls have a bed, desk, chair, and closet for every student. Students must bring or purchase school supplies and any other items they want for their residence hall room. Students will be responsible for traveling with the proper documents and should consider bringing a few other items with them from home, listed below.
Items to Bring From Home
- Travel Documents - Make sure all of these documents are easy to find in a carry-on bag and keep copies in your checked luggage:
- I-20 or DS-2019
- SEVIS I-901 Fee Confirmation of Payment
- Financial Documents
- KU Acceptance Letter
- Official health records
- Official documentation of vaccinations with a physician's signature
- Proof of health insurance, if purchased privately
- Outlet and Plug Converter: You should purchase an electrical outlet and plug converter for the U.S. from your home country to use with any electric device you bring. The U.S. operates on 120 V and has type A and type B electrical plugs.
- Laptop: Students are not required to have their own computers and there are many computer labs with printers on campus for them to use. If you have your own laptop, you can bring it and use it on campus. There is wired internet access in the residence hall rooms and wireless access in the lounges and other campus buildings. Students can also purchase a computer on campus or at the store during the big shopping trip.
- Camera: You may also want to bring a camera if you plan to participate in any field trips or travel on your own.
- International Driver's License: If you plan to rent or drive a car while in the U.S., you should get an international driver's license in your home country prior to travelling to KU. International driver's licenses are valid for one year. After studying at KU for one year, you will be eligible to apply for a Pennsylvania state driver's license.
Because international students must travel a great distance to get to KU and the U.S., they may not want to travel with everything they will need at KU. The Office of International Admissions provides several options for students to get the things they will need while attending KU and living on campus. They can bring items with them in their luggage, ship items to the Office of International Admissions before they arrive, or purchase items on the shopping trips planned during orientation. There will be a small shopping trip on the first day of orientation for personal hygiene items and snacks. A larger shopping trip is planned for the end of the orientation week where students will be able to purchase everything they need for their room and for classes.
Office of International Admissions Shipping Address (please label all boxes with student's full name):
Office of International Admissions
15200 Kutztown Road
Kutztown, PA 19530
Important Note: The residence hall beds do not have bedding and towels; students must bring bedding and towels in their luggage, ship these items to campus before they arrive, or purchase the KU Bookstore Bed-in-a-Box. The shopping trip for these items will not be until the end of the week.
Review the documents below to learn more about what to bring, what to arrange with your roommate, and how to order a Bed-in-a-Box from the KU Bookstore:
KU Bed-in-a-Box (PDF)