International Freshman Application Requirements
- Application for Admission
- Non-refundable $35.00 application fee
- Official English Language Test Score Report no more than two years old and sent directly to KU from testing service (including students from countries where English is the first language):
- TOEFL: KU requires a minimum score of 79 for the internet-based test or 550 on the paper-based test for admission. KU school code: 2653
- IELTS: KU requires a minimum score of 6.5.
- SAT or ACT: The English Language Test Score is not required for students who attain scores on the SAT or ACT test that meet admissions criteria. (SAT code: 2653, ACT code: 3706
- SAT or ACT test scores: The SAT or ACT are not required for admission, however, minimum test scores for the SAT or ACT are required for consideration for the Academic Excellence and Academic Achievement Tuition Waiver.
- Official High School/Secondary School Academic Records/Transcripts in English are accepted under the following conditions:
- Official, original language transcript with official English language translation
- Official transcript in English if issued directly by the school
- Certified copy of original language transcript sent with official English translation (if applicable) and signed by one of the following:
- Administrator of the student's school
- U.S. Embassy Official
- Ministry of Education official
- U.S. Overseas Advising Office staff member
- Official Notary Public
- Affidavit of Financial Support (PDF): U.S. law requires all international students to prove they can support the estimated annual costs for every year of their program of study. Students must provide documents that demonstrate to the U.S. Embassy that they have enough money to cover the first year of study in the U.S. and sufficient and dependable financial resources to cover every additional year. A student's funding may come from a combination of sources, including personal funds. See Sponsor webpage for more information.
- Copy of Passport: Required to ensure accuracy in the SEVIS system to issue the I-20.
- Supplemental materials: The following programs require additional items and you should check the department website for more information: Art Education, Communication Design, Crafts, Studio Art, Music, and Music Education
Freshman Application Checklist:
_____ $35.00 Application Fee
_____ English Language Proficiency Test Scores (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT or ACT)
_____ SAT or ACT scores (if applying for Academic Excellence or Academic Achievement Tuition Waiver)
_____ High School or Secondary School Official Transcript in English
_____ Affidavit of Financial Support (PDF)
_____ Passport Copy
_____ Supplemental Materials (if applicable)