Program of Study
The Reading Specialist certificate may be obtained in the Master of Education degree in Reading and Reading Specialist programs only as an added certificate to a valid Pennsylvania Instructional I or II teaching certificate. The teaching certificate must be in an area that includes coursework in reading; for example, secondary education, elementary education, special education, early childood.
Master of Education in Reading/Reading Specialist Certification
Requires the completion of 36 credit hours, a comprehensive program portfolio and a passing score from the PRAxIS Reading Specialist exam. Read in-depth program description.
Reading Specialist Certification
Available to educators who already hold a Master of Education degree and seek Reading Specialist certification. Requires the completion of 24 credit hours, a comprehensive program portfolio and a passing score from the PRAxIS Reading Specialist exam. Read in-depth program description.
- Art Education
- Communication Design (MFA)
- Computer Science
- Computer Science- Information Technology
- Computer Science- Professional Science Master's (PSM)
- Counseling-Mental Health
- Couples, Marital and Family Therapy
- Elementary Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Instructional Technology
- Library Science
- MBA-Master of Business Administration
- K-12 Principal Certification Program
- Public Administration
- School Counseling
- Secondary Education
- Social Work
- Student Affairs in Higher Education - Administration
- Supervisory Certificate: Curriculum and Instruction
Official transcripts from previous colleges or universities (non-KU), valid PA instructional I or II teaching certificate (coursework in teaching reading), 3 graduate evaluation forms from professionals in education.
For this program, the admissions requirement of an acceptable score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) may be satisfied by any one of the following:
• Passing score on the Praxis II examinations
• Passing score on the National Teacher Examination
• Ten years teaching experience in an elementary or secondary school with appropriate certification
Three Application Evaluation/Recommendation Forms must be used for recommendations in the application packet. Recommendations should be requested from professionals in the field, e.g., principal, professional colleague, university professor.