Initial Certification Post Baccalaureate Pre-K-4
The Elementary Education Department is pleased to offer the following pathway to receive certification to teach in public elementary and middle schools, 4-8 and simultaneously earn a master's degree.
Advisor: Dr. Terre Sychterz
Potential candidates who have an undergraduate degree in a field other than education (business, liberal arts and science, etc.) may wish to gain their certification in elementary education. This can be accomplished at the graduate level, earning a master's degree simultaneously with teaching certification. Kutztown University offers a twenty-seven (27) credit program of courses and six (6) credits of clinical field experience that will enable candidates to accomplish this dual purpose. This is an accelerated program offered during daytime and evening hours. Course work is days, evenings, weekends and on-line. The Professional Semester is a twelve (12) credit daytime semester and one course (3 credits) taken in the evening for a total of 15 credits. The Specialization courses (6 credits) and Clinical Field Experience (6 credits) are daytime courses and experiences during the last semester.
All students accepted into this program must complete all requirements within six (6) calendar years. A grade point average of 3.0 must be maintained throughout the program. All courses are three semester hours.
Graduation requirements for certification:
Candidates seeking an M. Ed in Elementary Education must satisfy all curriculum requirements, all University requirements, and fulfill the following:
- Complete 27 semester hours of appropriate graduate course work in the proper distribution as indicated on the initial certification post baccalaureate grid.
- Field requirements: Coursework will require observation hours and teaching experiences in the Pre-K-4 classroom. The professor of record will discuss these requirements. One semester of clinical field experience consisting of one twelve-week setting is required. Schools are selected via the Office of Clinical Field Experiences. Kutztown University clinical field supervisors will complete PDE 430 reports.
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout the program
- PECT (PA Educator Certification Test) must be passed and scores on file at Kutztown University.
- Final certification paperwork (TIMS) must be completed through the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.
- For certification: Teacher Information Management System (TIMS)
- For degree: Apply for graduation through the Graduate Studies Office
- Art Education
- Communication Design (MFA)
- Computer Science
- Computer Science- Information Technology
- Computer Science- Professional Science Master's (PSM)
- Counseling-Mental Health
- Couples, Marital and Family Therapy
- Elementary Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Instructional Technology
- Library Science
- MBA-Master of Business Administration
- Public Administration
- School Counseling
- Secondary Education
- Social Work
- Student Affairs in Higher Education - Administration
- Supervisory Certificate: Curriculum and Instruction