2014-2015 Audition Dates
Our auditions are on Fridays and Saturdays:
- Friday, October 2, 2015
- Friday, October 23, 2015
- Tuesday, November 2, 2015 (CVPA Open House)
- Friday, November 6, 2015
- Saturday, January 30, 2016
- Saturday, February 27, 2016*
- Saturday, March 26, 2016**
- Alternative individual audition dates may be arranged. Contact your area faculty to do so.
* Afflerbach Music Scholarship application deadline.
** All music scholarships may be awarded prior to this last audition date.
Please note that auditions are required for entry into all music degree programs and for scholarship consideration. Auditions are scheduled by the Department of Music after receipt of your Department of Music Application. It will last about fifteen minutes and include a brief interview. Accompaniment will be provided for vocalists, but is not required or provided for instrumental auditions. Vocalist should send accompaniments 2 weeks in advance of audition date.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the applied faculty in his or her instrument/area to discuss the audition requirements. Requirements varies by performance area. In general, you should be prepared to perform repertoire that best displays tone, technique, and general musicianship. The playing of scales and some sight-reading may be required.
- Two contrasting pieces from the standard repertoire.
- Major scales.
- Sight reading.
- Must audition on snare drum, timpani, and keyboard percussion (2 or 4 mallet).
- Must demonstrate sight reading ability and knowledge of scales.
- An audition on drumset is optional.
- If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Kumor at 610-683-4548.
- Three pieces chosen from the following style categories (all works must be performed from memory):
- Baroque - i.e. Scarlatti, Bach (any Two or Three Part Invention, Prelude and Fugue, or any two movements of a Suite)
- Classical - i.e. Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Hummel, Weber, Clementi (any movement of a Sonata)
- Romantic/Post-Romantic - i.e. Mendelssohn, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, etc.
- Impressionistic/Contemporary - i.e. Debussy, Ravel, Bartok, Prokofieff, Copland, Gershwin, etc.
- Major and minor scales.
- Sight Reading.
- If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Asteriadou at 484-646-4154.
- Two contrasting pieces from the Classical, Jazz or Broadway repertoire.
- Required to use the Staff Accompanist.
- Required to fax (610-683-1506) their music two weeks in advance of their audition date.
- No recorded accompaniment will be permitted.
- Expected to be able to read music.
- Audition songs must be memorized.
You will also have to opportunity to interview with the music faculty. You should be prepared to discuss your musical background, career goals, music, general areas of interest, and why you want to study music at Kutztown University. This is also a chance for you to ask questions about the University, the Music Program, and campus life.
Placement* examinations are held in the following:
- Aural Skills
- Harmony & Theory
*These are diagnostic examinations to determine placement in Music courses and are considered as part of acceptance in the degree program.
While personal auditions are encouraged, recorded auditions may be submitted instead. In the case of a recorded audition, placement examinations for music will be given when you attend the summer Connections orientation program.