Bookmark and Share


How do I audition for the Marching Unit?
Winds & Brass: All Winds and Brass members are asked to contact Professor Neuenschwander to perform a hearing used to determine part placement. This should be finished prior to band camp. Inclusion in the Marching Unit is dependent upon attendance at the weeklong summer band camp (August). Everyone present at band camp will take part in the Marching Unit show. Please fill out this form to receive information on Band Camp. Contact KUMU as soon as possible to be placed on our mailing list for all future information you will need! Band Camp concludes with an exhibition in the stadium. Parents and friends are welcome to attend.

Colorguard/Band Front/Twirlers:  Membership is by audition. Auditions for membership in the 2014 KU Marching Unit Colorguard are Sunday, May 25 on the campus of Kutztown University. Students who are interested in auditioning for Color Guard please contact Professor Neuenschwander immediately.

Drumline:  Auditions for membership in the 2014 KU Marching Unit Drumline are Sunday, May 11 & 18 on the campus of Kutztown University. The Drumline Caption Head will place each person on the instrument(s) they are best suited for contributing to KUMU. We have both batterie & front ensemble positions available. Prospective Drumline members should add your name to the mailing list here. You may also send an e-mail to Professor Neuenschwander. You will be sent instructions on how to best prepare for the May audition.

Can non-music music majors be in the bands?

Absolutely! ALL performing ensembles at Kutztown University are open to ALL KU students. Around 75% of KUMU is made up of non-music majors. Music majors are required to be in one large ensemble each semester and the Marching Unit can count towards this requirement

What is the time commitment for the Marching Unit?

The time commitment consists of 4 1/2 hours of rehearsal during the week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:00-4:30 p.m.). Perfect attendance at all rehearsals is the expectation. Please keep this in mind when registering for classes. Rehearsals are scheduled so that conflicts with other classes are kept to a minimum. The Marching Unit will perform at all home football games, selected away games, and several exhibitions each season. Drumline, Color Guard, and all winds schedule additional sectionals. While in the Marching Unit, many members also perform in the Concert Band, Jazz Band, Orchestra, and various smaller ensembles as well as keeping a full academic load. There is time to do it all

When will band camp take place this year?

The dates for the 2014 KUMU Band Camp are:
Drum Majors:  Monday, August 11 - Sunday, August 24
BEC & Student Leadership:  Wednesday, August 13 - Sunday, August 24
Drumline & Colorguard Members:  Wednesday, August 13 - Sunday, August 24
Remaining Winds & Brass:  Friday, August 15 - Sunday, August 24

The good news is, you will move into your permanent academic housing on your first day of camp! More detailed reporting times is available after you fill out your KUMU membership form. Camp concludes on Sunday, August 25 with an afternoon performance for the KU Freshmen Convocation.

What costs are involved with the Marching Band?

Currently, each member pays a fee based on your year in the organization:
First Year:  $120
Returning Member:  $90 (Only if you have KUMU shorts and ball cap from previous years)

This fee pays for band camp, KUMU T-shirt (required), KUMU shorts (required), a KUMU ball cap (required), and select meals on trips. Another required purchase (only if you DO NOT currently own a pair of BLACK marching shoes) is marching shoes, which is an additional cost of approximately $40.

How do I enroll in the bands?

Register for the appropriate band at registration or during add and drop. If you enroll for credit, you will receive a grade for "1" hour of credit. Many students participate in the Marching Unit in the fall semester and Symphonic Band and/or Wind Ensemble in the spring semester. The Department of Music is committed to providing a musical opportunity for every interested KU student.

Can I take private lessons?

Music majors and non-music majors may sign up for private lessons with our applied music faculty. Sign-up sheets are in the Music Department Office in Old Main 114.

How do I get a scholarship?

There are no scholarships available for membership in KUMU. That said, no one will be turned away from participating in KUMU due to financial reasons. If you need more clarification, please contact Professor Neuenschwander immediately.

Can I rent an instrument?

If an instrument is available to rent from KUMU, the cost to rent a KUMU instrument for the marching season is $40.00. Instruments used in the Marching Unit include piccolo, clarinet, alto, tenor and baritone saxophone, trumpet, mellophone, trombone, baritone, sousaphone, and percussion.

Who is the director?

Professor Daniel Neuenschwander is the Director of the Kutztown University Marching Unit.

Are there any band/music fraternities and sororities?

Yes, there are four: Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, and Sigma Alpha Iota.