Inaugural KU High School Choral Festival
The Department of Music is excited to host the Inaugural Kutztown University High School Choral Festival on Thursday, October 16, 2014 at the Schaeffer Auditorium from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. This festival promises to offer you and your students several important benefits:
- A festival experience for all members of your group, not just a select few "Honor Choir" participants;
- The opportunity to hear other schools perform and visit with your colleagues in one convenient place without traveling to several schools to hear them;
- An early year performance goal before your first home concert;
- The opportunity to receive a clinic to help polish your music before that first concert;
- The opportunity to watch other ensembles perform and allow students of each group the benefits of learning from their peers.
This event will be limited to six choral ensembles; therefore, please register your ensemble as soon as possible. The deadline is the end of September, 2014.
The requirements for the Festival are:
- Cost: there is no fee to participate. The only expense will be transportation to Kutztown University.
- Repertoire: whatever your group-any group-is rehearsing in preparation for its next performance. Pieces that are still "works in progress" are welcome. Works must be choral music. Choreography in conjunction with the music ("show choir") is also welcome.
- Attendance: all groups will arrive at the beginning of the Festival. Plan on arriving by 9 AM and staying until its completion. This will assure everyone the benefit of an audience, while contributing to a true "festival experience". Performance order will be determined by draw at the beginning of and during the Festival.
- Attire: please wear whatever you normally wear for home concerts.
- Performance time: each group will have a total of twenty minutes. During that time, each group will perform between eight and twelve minutes of music. The balance of the time will give each ensemble the opportunity to work on stage as a group under my direction.
- Combined piece: The Irish Blessing by Joyce Eilers Bacak, Jenson Publications, 402-09114, SATB. It is simple, can be learned very quickly, and I expect many of you already have it in your libraries. Also, a copy will be projected on a screen.