Kutztown University Summer Chamber Music Festival is pleased to announce the First Concerto Competition under the festival's auspices. Anyone who is enrolled in the 2013 Festival and can meet the repertoire requirements would be eligible to participate. The contestants are welcome to present either a solo concerto or a chamber concerto from the following repertoire:
- Bach: any of the concerti from the solo or ensemble literature (Two Piano, Double Violin, Brandenburg Concerti Nos. 4-6, Violin and Oboe, etc)
- Beethoven: Piano Concerti 1-3, Violin Concerto, Violin Romances, Triple Concerto
- Bruch: Violin concerto in g minor
- Haydn: any of the solo concerti
- Mendelssohn: Any of the solo concerti, double concerto for Piano and Violin
- Mozart: any of the solo concerti, concerti for Two Pianos, Sinfonia Concertante (for Violin and Viola)
- Quantz: Flute Concerto in G Major
- Telemann: Any of the solo or double (e.g. Oboe and Violin) concerti
- Vivaldi: Any of the solo or ensemble concerti
Additional suggestions from participants may be considered.
The jury of the competition will consist of faculty from the KU Summer Chamber Music Festival, as well as invited guest artists. The Festival will award three prizes:
- The First Prize includes a cash award of $500, and a full tuition scholarship to 2014 KUSMF.
- The Second Prize includes a cash award of $300 and a half tuition scholarship to 2014 KUSMF.
- The Third Prize includes a cash award of $200.
All three winners will play at the final concert of the festival, on June 30, 2013 at 3:00pm in the Georgian Room, in Old Main, and they will be also invited to perform on Kutztown University's concert series during the academic year.
If you are interested in participating in the competition, please send an email with your choice of concerto (one movement only) to:
Dr. Maria Asteriadou
If you are interested in entering with an ensemble concerto (we highly recommend it), we will assign you an appropriate partner.