Employment Opportunities and Internships in Library Science and Instructional Technology
Fleetwood Area Public Library (Posted 10/16/2014)
Part-Time Library Clerk
Fleetwood Area Public Library seeks an enthusiastic, friendly, and punctual individual to fulfill the duties of part-time library clerk, under the supervision of the Library Director. This position includes working independently at the circulation desk, opening and closing the library as needed, and assisting patrons with locating items in the library. In addition, this individual will assist patrons with basic computer questions, send newly acquired materials to processing, and other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
The ideal candidate for this position works well in a team-oriented environment, enjoys working with people of all ages, possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, strong customer service skills, and is proficient in all Microsoft applications.
The position is approximately 12.5 hours per week (Mondays 8:30AM-12:30PM, Tuesdays 1PM-5PM, and Fridays 8:30AM-1PM), one Saturday per month, and extra hours as assigned by the Library Director. Vacation time is available upon one calendar year of employment. State child abuse and criminal clearances are required. You must have a Berks County Public Library card in good standing. Salary is negotiable based upon experience. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please deliver or send your resume and three professional references to:
Fleetwood Public Library
Attn: Stephanie Williams, Library Director
110 West Arch St. Suite 209
Fleetwood, PA 19522
EMAIL to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fleetwood Area Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Brandywine Community Library (Posted 10/13/2014)
Brandywine Community Library, located in Topton, PA, is searching for a Library Director. The Board of Trustees is looking for someone who is motivated, creative, enthusiastic, and tech savvy to continue moving our library forward with the ever changing needs of our patrons. We want someone who will mesh seamlessly with our four person staff and help us continue to service the needs of our four surrounding communities.
Under the direction of the Board, the Library Director will develop, administer, supervise, communicate, motivate and coordinate the work of the library and staff. They will perform managerial duties related to personnel and collection development as well as conform with our established policies. The Director reports to the Board of Trustees and will be required to attend our monthly board meeting with a report of any items of concern or updates that occur at the library. The Director will be asked to help develop yearly goals, help with fundraising/marketing ideas, prepare state reports, and assist in yearly budget development.
Candidate must qualify as a Provisional Librarian in Pennsylvania (Bachelor's Degree plus 12 credit hours of library science).
Salary range: $30,030 - $35,490 with sick leave and vacation commensurate with experience and degree.
Please send resume, cover letter and professional reference to:
Brandywine Community Library
Board of Trustees
60 Tower Drive
Topton, PA 19562
Greenville Area Public Library (Posted 10/13/2014)
Director, Greenville, Pennsylvania Public Library - Dynamic leader who can take growing program to new levels.
MLS/MLIS required, 5-10 years' experience preferred, first-hand knowledge of library expansion/renovation a plus.
Resumes with three letters of reference should be sent by October 24, 2014 to receive full consideration. The Greenville Area Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity among its staff. Email resumes to email@example.com . No phone calls, please.
Bethlehem Area Public Library (Posted 10/09/2014)
Part-Time Branch Adult Services Technician
The Branch Adult Services Technician’s responsibilities include general library tasks, customer service, reference, homebound delivery service, adult programming, outreach, and other special projects as assigned by the Branch Manager.
- Bachelor's degree or two-year library technical certificate, or equivalent, plus two years of experience working in libraries
- Ability to work well with the public
- Reference skills, with proficiency in internet and online database searching
- Bilingual, with verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English
- Proficiency with the use of computers
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with others in person, by telephone, and via email
- Ability to assist at the Circulation desk, as needed
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the homebound delivery service
- Provides reference and reader's advisory assistance to patrons
- Translates English language flyers into Spanish language
- Purchases materials for the English as a Second Language/Literacy Collection at the Branch
- Performs general duties at the Circulation desk
- Displays give-away materials and posts informational library flyers
- Plans and facilitates adult programming
- Reads professional journals relating to position
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Ludington Library (Posted 10/09/2014)
Technology Librarian 37.5 Hours Per Week
Schedule WA01 Range 12
Starting salary: $31.145/hour - $60,966/year
This is responsible professional work maintaining and enhancing the automated systems functions of the Lower Merion Library System.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting in the maintenance of the automated circulation and catalog system (through cooperation with MCLINC), monitoring and troubleshooting the Local Area Network, general technology problem solving and tracking, coordination of special automation projects and new technology initiatives with library staffs and vendors, mastering new technologies and serving as a resource for the libraries, website construction and management, inventory control and technology project staging.
The Technology Librarian works under the Director of Libraries and in close cooperation with the Head Librarian and Head of Reference, Ludington Library (where this position is located), and with staff of all six libraries to build new automated services and enhance existing ones. He or she works closely with the Technology Librarian (Director's Office). The two positions mirror and back up each another.
A Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program with a strong emphasis in information technology is required.
Send cover letter, resume, a Township application and list of three references to:
Christine M. Steckel, M.F.A., M.S.
Director of Libraries
75 E. Lancaster Avenue, Third Floor
Ardmore, PA 19003
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by 4:30 P.M, Friday, October 24, 2014.
Cecil County Public Library Chesapeake City Maryland Branch (Posted 10/09/2014)
This professional, managerial, and supervisory position is responsible for the public services operations of the Chesapeake City Branch Library. Areas of responsibility include coordinating the operations of the branch, training and developing staff, marketing collection's and services, and ensuring the delivery of quality library materials and services to the public, and managing general/routine branch related facility/security issues. The Branch Manager directly supervises the branch staff, and works under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Public Services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for the Library within the broad goals and objectives of CCPL.
- Oversee and provide leadership for the development, implementation, and marketing of creative and effective services and collections in Adult, Children's, and Circulation departments.
- Manage and/or coordinate the implementation of projects.
- Serve as Community Liaison to the greater Chesapeake City community.
- Supervise, develop, and evaluate staff under his/her direction.
- Schedule public service staff and substitutes effectively and within budgetary limitations.
- Works with Material Manager/Selectors to direct the development, maintenance, and evaluation of local collections.
- Work under the direction of and collaboratively with the Assistant Director for Public Services to improve CCPL's services and procedures.
- Interpret, explain, and implement CCPL policies and procedures.
- Resolve patron complaints.
- May participate in interviewing and hiring staff.
- Provides public library services including circulation, reader's guidance and reference services.
- Participate on teams and committees at both the system level and as a team leader or project manager.
- Manage general/routine branch-related facility/security issues.
- Master's degree in Library Science from a program accredited or recognized as an equivalent by the American Library Association.
- Knowledge of management theory and practices with demonstrated skills and judgment in public library management and problem solving.
- Considerable experience in public libraries that includes at least 3 years of supervisory at the branch/department head level. Demonstrated skills in staff training and development.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and market creative and effective public library programs, collections, and services.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library collection development and maintenance, marketing, and display.
- Working knowledge of library automation procedures, electronic reference, and use of the Internet for library services.
- Knowledge and experience with a variety of types of electronic hardware devices for computing, listening, viewing, gaming and new technologies.
- Willingness and ability to acquire knowledge of advanced library computer systems, applications and new digital training methods.
- Considerable knowledge of user's interests, authors, books, current events and new materials formats.
- Ability to analyze and organize effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships with supervisors, staff, the community, and members of the public.
- Ability to work with patrons from all walks of life in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
- Ability to analyze and perform and or manage a wide variety of library projects.
- Knowledge of books, authors, current events.
Manheim Central School District (Posted 10/09/2014)
School Librarian/Media Specialist - Doe Run/H.C. Burgard Elementary Schools
Manheim Central School District is seeking a full-time, School Librarian/Media Center Specialist.
This is a permanent, professional opening beginning with the second semester of the 2014-2015 school year (anticipated start date of January 22, 2015).
PA Certification in Library Science K-12 required.
Pan American Academy Charter School
Classroom Teacher: Computer Technology (Posted 9/30/2014)
The Technology Teacher plans, organizes and implements an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential in accordance with Pan American Academy programs and initiatives.
Detailed position information and application instructions can be found on the PAREAP website:
Northwestern Lehigh School District
Librarian for Grades 6-8 (Posted 9/10/2014)
Librarian for grades 6-8 integrated program. Facilitate book selection, interdisciplinary planning and technology use. Utilize and maintain library management software and library website. Promote reading. Integrate 21st Century Information Literacy skills into classroom curriculum.
A valid PA Certification in Library Science is required.
Please apply electronically through the school's website.
Kutztown Community Library
Unpaid Internship Opportunity (Posted 8/30/2014)
Kutztown Community Library, 70 Bieber Alley, Kutztown PA 19530
4 to 8 hours weekly
Unpaid. At the present time, we cannot offer a stipend, however we can provide a wide exposure to a very dynamic, upbeat public library.
Kutztown Community Library is a member of the Berks County Public Libraries system. It is a medium-sized public library with over 29,000 items in the collection that serves a service population of 17,121.
The purpose of this intern position is to provide training for library service to the public, promote reading, encourage library usage within the community, and perform a variety of routine and complex work in the operation of the library.
A wide variety of public library tasks including circulation duties, processing and repairing materials, assisting patrons in the use of computers, assisting in collection development and working on special projects and programs, including the Summer Reading Program.
Candidate should be a current student in a Library/Information Science or Education program. Skills needed: reliable, detail oriented, able to handle multiple tasks, and strong interpersonal skills.
To Apply: Email email@example.com
Muhlenberg Community Library
Unpaid Internship Opportunity (Posted 8/23/2014)
Are you interesting in working on teen programming at the public library this fall? Internships are wonderful opportunities for students to gain experience and make contacts in the public library community.
Deanne Boyer, MLS
Muhlenberg Community Library
Parkland Academy of Early Learning
Part-time Assistant and Substitute Teachers (Posted 8/22/2014)
Parkland Academy of Early Learning located in Trexlertown (18 minutes away from Kutztown) is hiring for the position of school age assistant with the hours of 3:00 pm-6:00pm. They are also seeking substitute teachers for the upcoming school year. This is a great chance to build up experience working with children and looks great on a resume!
If interested please contact Jenn Truckly at 610-392-0252 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Radnor Memorial Library (Wayne PA)
Part-Time Reference Librarian(Posted 8/09/2014)
Available immediately, the Radnor Memorial Library (Wayne PA) has a opening for a part-time reference librarian. The position is scheduled for a minimum of 8 hours a week, including at least one weekday shift and one weekend shift. This position is the librarian-in-charge on weekends. Responsibilities include staffing the Information Desk and assistance with departmental tasks; assistance to and training for the public in the use of both print and electronic resources; and assistance to the public with computers and printing/scanning.
Requirements: A Master's degree in Library Science. Recent experience in a public library is preferred. The successful candidate must be able to function independently, as well as work with staff as part of a team. A desire and aptitude for interacting with all ages of the public is required. Proficiency in Microsoft Word is required and is desirable in Microsoft Publisher. This is a year-round position.
Salary: $17.25 per hour
To apply: Send a letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to email@example.com
Radnor Memorial Library
114 West Wayne Ave
Wayne Pa 19087
610-687-1124 ext 10
Parkland Community Library
F/T Adult Services Librarian(Posted 8/05/2014)
- A Master's degree in Library and/or Information Science from an appropriate agency or accredited institution
- Knowledge and interest in developing collection and programs for adults
- Excellent communication skills
- Select and maintain collection and budget for Adult Fiction, and Large Print materials and AV Materials including DVD's, Books on CD, Music CD's, and Great Courses.
- Maintain the library's periodicals collection
- Maintain storage collection
- Plan, promote and implement programming for the adult population in the library or elsewhere in the service area
- Attend community events as scheduled
- Prepare and submit grant and budget proposals in areas of responsibility
- Update the library's Social Media and Website as needed
- Send out press releases and promotional materials for programs, outreach and as requested
- Provide as scheduled, research assistance to library patrons of all ages
- Participate in Continuing Education by attending position appropriate conferences, meetings and workshops when possible
- Provide outreach to Nursing Homes and other agencies in the service area
- Maintain bulletin board and display case
If interested please email, send resume, 3 professional recommendations and a letter of interest to:
Debbie Jack, Executive Director
Parkland Community Library
4422 Walbert Avenue
Allentown, PA 18104
610-398-1361 ext. 22
Haddonfield Public Schools
Library Media Specialist – Full-time Elementary (Posted 8/01/2014)
NJ certification is required
Please send cover letter, resume, college transcripts, and copy of NJ certification to:
Attention: Library Media Specialist EOE
Upper St. Clair School District
Elementary School Librarian (Posted 8/01/2014)
The Upper St. Clair School District is seeking candidates for the Streams Elementary School Librarian position. The successful candidate will hold a masters' degree (MLIS) in library science, a valid PA librarian certificate, have additional background experiences in reading development, as well as the effective integration of technology and media.
Those interested are encouraged to submit a resume and application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For an application packet please visit our website at:
www.uscsd.k12.pa.us /Information/Employment Opportunities/Professional Positions-Permanent & Long Term
Last Updated 9/30/2014 WJ