Employment Opportunities and Internships in Library Science and Instructional Technology
Community Library of the Shenango Valley (Posted 11/22/2014)
Position Description: The Board of Trustees of the Community Library of the Shenango Valley seeks an energetic, enthusiastic and experienced leader to continue its commitment to quality public library service. The Director will work closely with the Board of Trustees, staff and local stakeholders to develop and articulate the vision for library service, design and implement strategic initiatives, and promote library services within the community. The Director will also be responsible for personnel supervision, budget preparation and management, grant solicitation, collection development, and overall management of the Library. The Community Library of the Shenango Valley serves the residents of the City of Sharon and the City of Hermitage. The Library is located Sharon, PA. This position is a full-time, 40 hr/wk position and compensation includes a salary of $40,000 with an excellent benefit package including health insurance, vacation and sick leave, and a retirement plan.
Requirements: Minimum qualifications include a Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program, a minimum of three years of progressively responsible library leadership, excellent interpersonal skills, experience in providing sound fiscal planning and management, and a thorough knowledge of current trends, technology, and best practices for public libraries, as well as the ability to work effectively with the public, library staff and local government entities. For more information about the library, visit our website at www.clsv.net .
How to apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and references (3 professional and 2 personal) to Search Committee at Community Library of the Shenango Valley, 11 N. Sharpsville Ave, Sharon, PA 16146 or by emailing email@example.com .
Stockton College Library (Posted 11/20/2014)
Two Postitions Available
We currently have two openings at the Stockton College Library that do not require an MLS but prefer library experience or classes.
There is one full time position in Circulation as a Library Assistant and one part time position on the Information Desk available.
Here is the link to the page with both listings:
Muhlenberg Community Library (Posted 11/20/2014)
The primary responsibility for this position is the coordination and planning of services for children from baby to 6th grade. The Children's Librarian will have full supervision of the Children's Area and maintain a quiet, safe, productive and attractive environment. The ideal candidate for this position will have a passion for working with children and parents, a strong knowledge of children's literature, and a professional, helpful, positive attitude.
- A MLS degree in Library Science or Master's in related field is required.
- Significant experience working with parents and children preferred.
- Broad knowledge of children's literature.
- Strong commitment to customer service as well as the ability to build positive relationships with parents, children, and community members.
- Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills required.
- Must have computer skills including the ability to use Microsoft Office.
- Able to work independently and be self-motivated as well as be a part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and Saturdays.
- Provide Act 34 Criminal Record Check and Act 151 Child Abuse History.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Plans and implements children's programming, including story times, school age programs, and Summer Reading programs.
- Creates and develops marketing strategies for promoting children's programming.
- Creates youth-friendly displays, bulletin boards, signs, and other accompanying promotional materials.
- Purchases materials for children's collection.
- Plans, tracks and reports statistics for children's programming.
- Weeds and maintains youth collection.
- Provides patron off-site outreach programs to youth groups which may include preschools, schools, and other community groups.
- Ability to organize and manage a group of volunteer parents.
- Supports circulation staff as needed.
- May serve as Librarian in charge if needed.
- Attends workshops and seminars as appropriate.
- Purchases supplies for youth programming/activities.
- Performs other duties as instructed and assigned by the Library Director.
Supervised by: Library Director
Hours: Hours will include day, evening and weekend hours. Average 25 hours per week.
S.W. Smith Memorial Library of Port Allegany (Posted 11/15/2014)
The S.W. Smith Memorial Library of Port Allegany, located in Northwestern PA's scenic McKean County, is looking for a Head Librarian. Works with Board of Trustees to implement library goals and objectives. Supervises small staff and volunteers. Oversees operation of Bookmobile. Administers budget of $120,000.
Successful candidate must possess good verbal and written communication skills; able to involve library in local government and community groups. Must have good planning, budgeting and social media skills. Willingness to be involved in fundraising. Grant writing experience a plus.
Library Assistant Certification Required. Criminal Background Check. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefit Package.
Deadline for applications is Mon, Dec. 1. Send cover letter, resume and references to Chair, Search Committee, S.W. Smith Library, 201 East Maple St, Port Allegany, PA 16743 An EEO/AA Employer
Bethlehem Area Public Library (Posted 11/15/2014)
- High school diploma
- Basic computer skills; ability to pass typing and filing tests
- Ability to serve patrons in a calm and friendly manner
- Physical ability to stand at circulation desk for several hours, retrieve materials from high shelves, shelve material on standard library shelving and to move carts loaded with books
- Physical and manual dexterity
- Ability to listen and clearly communicate with patrons in person and on the telephone
A circulation department clerk is responsible for performing daily circulation desk duties and record keeping involved in the efficient flow of library materials, as well as the accurate shelving of returned material.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Check-out and check-in of library materials
- Register patrons and give them a library card
- Answer and route incoming telephone calls
- Sort, inspect, and shelve returned materials
- Clean media and books as needed upon return
- Check-in book drop items
- Renew items at desk or by phone
- Learn new procedures and upgrades as they occur
- Prepare outgoing mail for processing
- Other duties as assigned by the Circulation Manager
The hours are 20 per pay period (an average of 10 per week, although it is usually more one week than the other.) Pay is commensurate with experience, but starts at $14.59 per hour.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by Monday, December 1st.
Erin M. Poore
Bethlehem Area Public Library
11 W. Church St. Bethlehem, PA 18018
Radnor Memorial Library (Posted 11/15/2014)
Due to the retirement of the current library director in the Spring 2015, Radnor Memorial Library, a dynamic, suburban library located 15 miles west of Philadelphia, is seeking a strong, enthusiastic, creative leader with effective analytical skills, a commitment to superior public service, and a proven record of developing and implementing innovative ideas for the full-time position of Executive Director.
Areas of responsibility:
- Manages the daily operation of the library;
- Performs and supervises library functions, including reference, programming and support services, and supervises library personnel;
- Manages four (4) subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of 42 employees in Reference, Circulation, Children's, and Technical Services and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units;
- Directly supervises two (2) non-supervisory employees;
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws;
- Interviews, hires, and trains, employees;
- Plans, assigns, and directs work of employees; appraises performance; rewards and disciplines employees;
- Prepares the budget ($1.4 million in 2014);
- Prepares annual reports, non-profit reports, and annual state and federal filing requirements;
- Plans, implements and evaluates long and short term goals and objectives;
- Participates in fundraising events, capital campaigns and development activities;
- Provides consultation to the Board of Trustees and local officials;
- Works collaboratively with the Friends of the Library;
- Interfaces with local government officials;
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems;
- Manages construction project undertaken to renovate and expand the library which is anticipated to begin in 2015;
- Possesses solid knowledge of library technology and the ability to work within the constraints of the Delaware County Library System network.
Successful candidates must possess a MLS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited library school; have at least six years progressive experience in professional library work or experience sufficient to perform the work.
Minimum salary $70,000. Retirement, Medical Benefits and Life Insurance are offered. EOE. No phone inquiries. Send letter of application, three (3) professional references and resume via e-mail by December 1, 2014 to: Search Committee, Radnor Memorial Library at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Library of the Shenango Valley (Posted 11/15/2014)
The Board of Trustees of the Community Library of the Shenango Valley seeks an energetic, enthusiastic and experienced leader to continue its commitment to quality public library service. The Director will work closely with the Board of Trustees, staff and local stakeholders to develop and articulate the vision for library service, design and implement strategic initiatives, and promote library services within the community. The Director will also be responsible for personnel supervision, budget preparation and management, grant solicitation, collection development, and overall management of the Library. The Community Library of the Shenango Valley serves the residents of the City of Sharon and the City of Hermitage. The Library is located Sharon, PA. This position is a full-time, 40 hr/wk position and compensation includes a salary of $40,000 with an excellent benefit package including health insurance, vacation and sick leave, and a retirement plan.
Minimum qualifications include a Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program, a minimum of three years of progressively responsible library leadership, excellent interpersonal skills, experience in providing sound fiscal planning and management, and a thorough knowledge of current trends, technology, and best practices for public libraries, as well as the ability to work effectively with the public, library staff and local government entities. For more information about the library, visit our website at www.clsv.net.
Deadline: December 1, 2014
How to apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and references (3 professional and 2 personal) to Search Committee at Community Library of the Shenango Valley, 11 N. Sharpsville Ave, Sharon, PA 16146 or by emailing email@example.com
Penn State Abington Library (Posted 11/13/2014)
Part-Time Library Assistant
The Penn State Abington Library has an opening for a part-time Library Assistant, 9.5 hours per week, evenings and weekends. Responsibilities will include reference and circulation duties and assisting with other tasks and special projects as assigned. Excellent interpersonal, customer service, verbal and written skills. Ability to work both independently and with others in a team environment. Good computer skills. Commitment to providing responsive and innovative services to a culturally and racially diverse campus. High degree of reliability and ability to work a flexible schedule. Prefer some library experience. To apply, please complete the online application. In addition, please submit a letter of application and resume including names of three references.
To apply go to http://psu.jobs/Search/Opportunities.html
Avon Grove Library (Posted 11/06/2014)
Employer: Avon Grove Library Board of Trustees
Location: West Grove, Chester County, PA
Hours: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Range starting at $45,000 (commensurate with qualifications and experience), including generous benefits package
Required: MLS from an ALA accredited school; Professional Library Certification from Pennsylvania Department of Education, Criminal Background Check and PA Child Abuse Clearances, preferred three to five years of supervisory experience
The Avon Grove Library, a member of the Chester County Library System, seeks an energetic, innovative, and visionary leader who can partner with an experienced staff, a dynamic county library system, a dedicated Board of Trustees. The library, located in an historically and culturally rich community in the Brandywine Valley, serves a diverse population of over 30,000 residents. The library facility is eleven years old and maintains beautiful natural light providing a pleasant environment for both staff and customers, serving as a vital community resource.
The director is the administrative head of a public library with an annual budget of $350,000 and a staff of approximately twenty part time employees. The successful candidate will have an awareness of the needs of a 21st Century library and will move the library forward to the next generation while reaching the goals and objectives of our new strategic plan.
The Avon Grove Library is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be accepted until December 1, 2014 or until the position is filled.
Send resume and names of three current references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detailed job description is available at www.avongrovelibrary.org
Bensalem Branch of the Bucks County Free Library (Posted 11/06/2014)
Assistant Library Manager
Bucks County Free Library has an exciting opportunity for a highly dynamic candidate to be part of the management team at the Bensalem branch of Bucks County Free Library. Are you someone who is passionate about working with the public in a large and diverse community? Are you able to inspire your staff to provide the best customer service they possibly can? Then, this job is for you!
POSITION SUMMARY: The ideal candidate for the Assistant Library Manager position will be skilled in management duties that will be shared with the Library Manager, including oversight of all key functions. In addition, s/he will direct and oversee day-to-day operations of the work unit, schedule, supervise, train and evaluate staff; and work with the Library Manager, support staff, and branch staff to ensure that the work unit meets county-wide operational and strategic goals as well as customer service standards. The Assistant Library Manager performs many of the same duties as subordinate staff and is familiar with all functions and staff responsibilities of the work unit. This is an FLSA exempt management position.
The well-rounded candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, be comfortable and capable using and demonstrating computers, tablets, and gadgets. S/he will have a strong knowledge of technology and a demonstrated ability to instruct and teach both library users and staff individually and in groups. Knowledge of how to operate various types of equipment, including digital and video cameras, and the ability to apply best practices for non-profits using social networking sites is a must.
The Assistant Library Manager directly performs clerical duties at all levels of performance and directs service desk operations, including all day-to-day circulation functions and staff. The Assistant Library Manager implements circulation, customer service, and related library policies and procedures, and is independently responsible for the accuracy of all data entry to the patron database and library catalog, as well as data entry performed by service desk staff. Under the Library Manager's guidance the Assistant Library Manager will plan for and evaluate circulation functions and ensure that staff understand and follow library policies, procedures, practices, priorities, and goals. Applicant must provide on date of hire at own expense the following three required clearances: PA State Police Criminal Record Check; PA Child Abuse History Clearance; and FBI fingerprint-based background check.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a bachelor's degree
- At least five years progressively responsible public library or customer service experience, including three years of direct supervision
TO APPLY: You will find a complete job posting with instructions on how to apply along with a job description on the Bucks County Free Library website at http://www.buckslib.org/jobs.
Robesonia Community Library (Posted 10/30/2014)
The Robesonia Community Library is seeking a Library Director. Responsibilities include: overseeing daily library operations, budgeting, filing reports, attending meetings, supervising staff, and collection development. The applicant must have the ability to work with the public, and have good organizational and computer skills. The Director will work 30 hours a week at a salary of $26,500 a year. A college degree with at least 12 credits in Library Science is required. A degree in Library Science is preferred.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Robesonia Community Library
Attn: Kathy Bashore
75-A South Brooke Street
Robesonia, PA 19551
Applications accepted until position is filled.
McBride Memorial Library of Berwick (Posted 10/27/2014)
McBride Memorial Library of Berwick, PA is seeking a Director of Library Services. The position requires a graduate degree BA and 12 hours of Library Science accredited program (MLS is preferred) and five years progressive responsible administrative experience in libraries, preferably in public library. Skills in grant writing, communication and interpersonal skills, in working with staff, patrons and volunteers will be welcomed. Salary is dependent on experience and personal skills you have to share.
If you wish to be part of this great community library send your resume via email@example.com or mail to:
Alice M. Zaikoski
McBride Memorial Library
500 N Market St
Berwick, PA 18603
Deadline for receipt of applications is November 22, 2014
North Central Library District
19 E Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA 17701
570-326-0536 ext. 196
Fleetwood Area Public Library (Posted 10/16/2014)
Part-Time Library Clerk
Fleetwood Area Public Library seeks an enthusiastic, friendly, and punctual individual to fulfill the duties of part-time library clerk, under the supervision of the Library Director. This position includes working independently at the circulation desk, opening and closing the library as needed, and assisting patrons with locating items in the library. In addition, this individual will assist patrons with basic computer questions, send newly acquired materials to processing, and other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
The ideal candidate for this position works well in a team-oriented environment, enjoys working with people of all ages, possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, strong customer service skills, and is proficient in all Microsoft applications.
The position is approximately 12.5 hours per week (Mondays 8:30AM-12:30PM, Tuesdays 1PM-5PM, and Fridays 8:30AM-1PM), one Saturday per month, and extra hours as assigned by the Library Director. Vacation time is available upon one calendar year of employment. State child abuse and criminal clearances are required. You must have a Berks County Public Library card in good standing. Salary is negotiable based upon experience. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please deliver or send your resume and three professional references to:
Fleetwood Public Library
Attn: Stephanie Williams, Library Director
110 West Arch St. Suite 209
Fleetwood, PA 19522
EMAIL to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fleetwood Area Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Brandywine Community Library (Posted 10/13/2014)
Brandywine Community Library, located in Topton, PA, is searching for a Library Director. The Board of Trustees is looking for someone who is motivated, creative, enthusiastic, and tech savvy to continue moving our library forward with the ever changing needs of our patrons. We want someone who will mesh seamlessly with our four person staff and help us continue to service the needs of our four surrounding communities.
Under the direction of the Board, the Library Director will develop, administer, supervise, communicate, motivate and coordinate the work of the library and staff. They will perform managerial duties related to personnel and collection development as well as conform with our established policies. The Director reports to the Board of Trustees and will be required to attend our monthly board meeting with a report of any items of concern or updates that occur at the library. The Director will be asked to help develop yearly goals, help with fundraising/marketing ideas, prepare state reports, and assist in yearly budget development.
Candidate must qualify as a Provisional Librarian in Pennsylvania (Bachelor's Degree plus 12 credit hours of library science).
Salary range: $30,030 - $35,490 with sick leave and vacation commensurate with experience and degree.
Please send resume, cover letter and professional reference to:
Brandywine Community Library
Board of Trustees
60 Tower Drive
Topton, PA 19562
Bethlehem Area Public Library (Posted 10/09/2014)
Part-Time Branch Adult Services Technician
The Branch Adult Services Technician’s responsibilities include general library tasks, customer service, reference, homebound delivery service, adult programming, outreach, and other special projects as assigned by the Branch Manager.
- Bachelor's degree or two-year library technical certificate, or equivalent, plus two years of experience working in libraries
- Ability to work well with the public
- Reference skills, with proficiency in internet and online database searching
- Bilingual, with verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English
- Proficiency with the use of computers
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with others in person, by telephone, and via email
- Ability to assist at the Circulation desk, as needed
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the homebound delivery service
- Provides reference and reader's advisory assistance to patrons
- Translates English language flyers into Spanish language
- Purchases materials for the English as a Second Language/Literacy Collection at the Branch
- Performs general duties at the Circulation desk
- Displays give-away materials and posts informational library flyers
- Plans and facilitates adult programming
- Reads professional journals relating to position
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Cecil County Public Library Chesapeake City Maryland Branch (Posted 10/09/2014)
This professional, managerial, and supervisory position is responsible for the public services operations of the Chesapeake City Branch Library. Areas of responsibility include coordinating the operations of the branch, training and developing staff, marketing collection's and services, and ensuring the delivery of quality library materials and services to the public, and managing general/routine branch related facility/security issues. The Branch Manager directly supervises the branch staff, and works under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Public Services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for the Library within the broad goals and objectives of CCPL.
- Oversee and provide leadership for the development, implementation, and marketing of creative and effective services and collections in Adult, Children's, and Circulation departments.
- Manage and/or coordinate the implementation of projects.
- Serve as Community Liaison to the greater Chesapeake City community.
- Supervise, develop, and evaluate staff under his/her direction.
- Schedule public service staff and substitutes effectively and within budgetary limitations.
- Works with Material Manager/Selectors to direct the development, maintenance, and evaluation of local collections.
- Work under the direction of and collaboratively with the Assistant Director for Public Services to improve CCPL's services and procedures.
- Interpret, explain, and implement CCPL policies and procedures.
- Resolve patron complaints.
- May participate in interviewing and hiring staff.
- Provides public library services including circulation, reader's guidance and reference services.
- Participate on teams and committees at both the system level and as a team leader or project manager.
- Manage general/routine branch-related facility/security issues.
- Master's degree in Library Science from a program accredited or recognized as an equivalent by the American Library Association.
- Knowledge of management theory and practices with demonstrated skills and judgment in public library management and problem solving.
- Considerable experience in public libraries that includes at least 3 years of supervisory at the branch/department head level. Demonstrated skills in staff training and development.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and market creative and effective public library programs, collections, and services.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library collection development and maintenance, marketing, and display.
- Working knowledge of library automation procedures, electronic reference, and use of the Internet for library services.
- Knowledge and experience with a variety of types of electronic hardware devices for computing, listening, viewing, gaming and new technologies.
- Willingness and ability to acquire knowledge of advanced library computer systems, applications and new digital training methods.
- Considerable knowledge of user's interests, authors, books, current events and new materials formats.
- Ability to analyze and organize effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships with supervisors, staff, the community, and members of the public.
- Ability to work with patrons from all walks of life in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
- Ability to analyze and perform and or manage a wide variety of library projects.
- Knowledge of books, authors, current events.
Manheim Central School District (Posted 10/09/2014)
School Librarian/Media Specialist - Doe Run/H.C. Burgard Elementary Schools
Manheim Central School District is seeking a full-time, School Librarian/Media Center Specialist.
This is a permanent, professional opening beginning with the second semester of the 2014-2015 school year (anticipated start date of January 22, 2015).
PA Certification in Library Science K-12 required.
Pan American Academy Charter School
Classroom Teacher: Computer Technology (Posted 9/30/2014)
The Technology Teacher plans, organizes and implements an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential in accordance with Pan American Academy programs and initiatives.
Detailed position information and application instructions can be found on the PAREAP website:
Northwestern Lehigh School District
Librarian for Grades 6-8 (Posted 9/10/2014)
Librarian for grades 6-8 integrated program. Facilitate book selection, interdisciplinary planning and technology use. Utilize and maintain library management software and library website. Promote reading. Integrate 21st Century Information Literacy skills into classroom curriculum.
A valid PA Certification in Library Science is required.
Please apply electronically through the school's website.
Last Updated 11/20/2014 WJ