Employment Opportunities and Internships in Library Science and Instructional Technology
Lower Macungie Library (Posted 12/17/2014)
Youth Services Director
The Lower Macungie Library seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, and energetic library professional to serve as a full-time Youth Services Director. This position requires an MLS (or in process) and a minimum of three years of experience as a children's librarian.
Please see attached job description for further information.
Salary range is negotiable, DOQ. Attractive benefits package.
Deadline for receipt of application is 12/31/14. Interviewing will begin in January, position available beginning of March.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Lower Macungie Library
3450 Brookside Road
Macungie, PA 18062
Paxinosa Elementary School (Posted 12/16/2014)
Paxinosa Elementary School
Long Term Substitute Position
Available immediately to the end of the 2014-15 school year
Valid PA Library Science Certification Required
Please visit our website to submit your application on or before 12/18/2014.
Village Library (Posted 12/16/2014)
Village Library, located in Morgantown, PA, is searching for a Library Director who is motivated, creative, enthusiastic, and tech savvy to continue moving our library forward with the ever changing needs of our patrons. Established in 1965, Village Library is a member of the Berks County Public Library System. Under the direction of the Board, the Library Director will develop, administer, supervise, communicate, motivate and coordinate the work of the library and staff. The Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the library including duties related to collection development, programming, and outreach. Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Director helps to develop yearly goals, participates in fundraising and marketing, prepare state reports, and assist in yearly budget development. Candidate must qualify as a Provisional Librarian in Pennsylvania (Bachelor's Degree plus 12 credit hours of library science). Benefits include 2 weeks paid vacation annually. Salary commensurate with experience and educational background. Please send resume, professional references and salary expectations to:
Village Library of Morgantown
Board of Trustees
207 North Walnut Street
Morgantown, PA 19543
Northampton Community College (Posted 12/16/2014)
Technical Processing Assistant
Applications are being accepted for a Temporary Part Time Technical Processing Assistant position open at the Mack Library, Bethlehem Campus, Bethlehem. Interested applicants can find the position at https://ncc.peopleadmin.com/postings/2043.
Applications are due 12/22/14.
Lancaster Public Library (Posted 12/05/2014)
Adult Services Librarian
Lancaster Public Library is seeking a highly motivated, full-time professional Librarian for the Adult Services Department at its Lancaster City Branch.
JOB DESCRIPTION: While staffing the Reference Desk, the Adult Services Librarian provides reference services directly to the public in a busy, urban setting. In order to provide effective service, this individual must be proficient in the use of print and electronic resources. The Adult Services Librarian also staffs the Computer Help Desk, assisting patrons using the Library's public access computers. To be successful, this individual must be tech-savvy and enthusiastic about learning new technologies and sharing that knowledge with the public. The Adult Services Librarian is involved in planning and implementing entertaining, informative, and topical programs as well as conducting community outreach.
- Master's degree in Library or Information Science required
- Self-starter capable of performing at a high level with minimal supervision
- Commitment to urban librarianship
- Proficient in the use of current technologies
- Commitment to excellence in the provision of reference service and adult programming
- Ability to speak a language in addition to English is desirable
- Knowledgeable about library trends
- Ability to work well with management, co-workers and volunteers
- Willingness to adapt to changing user needs
- Strong organizational, communication, and presentation skills
- Pleasant demeanor and helpful attitude essential
- Scheduling flexibility, including evenings and weekends
- Public library experience desirable
Criminal Background and Child Abuse Clearances required.
COMPENSATION: Hourly rate: $15.51.
For more information about Lancaster Public Library visit www.lancaster.lib.pa.us.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS: Lancaster Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please submit cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Lancaster Public Library
125 N. Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
Attention: Kathy Leader
Fax: (717) 394-3083
Berks County Public Library System (Posted 12/02/2014)
Two Part-Time Preschool Programming Specialists
Berks County Public Library System is seeking two part-time Preschool Programming Specialists to design and deliver literature-based thematic programs for preschoolers, toddlers, and babies with caregivers early literacy programming in our 19 member libraries and on the Bookasaurus Outreach bookmobile. The position requires a minimum of a BA/BS degree in Early Childhood Development, Education or Library Science and a minimum of 2 years experience working with young children in a library or classroom setting. A valid PA drivers' license is also required
The part-time position is 20 hours/week. Starting salary is $15.00/hour. All applicants must complete a County of Berks Employment Application found at:
Berks County Public Library System (Posted 12/02/2014)
Outreach Services Coordinator
Outreach Services Coordinator - Berks County Public Library System is seeking an Outreach Services Coordinator effective January 2015. This position is responsible for the development, coordination and implementation of professional library outreach activities in a variety areas including early literacy, services to special populations and community based partnerships. The Outreach Services Coordinator position is a full-time (40 hours/week), Exempt position with competitive benefits. Minimum qualifications include an MLS degree at an ALA accredited university and 3 years experience in public libraries. A valid PA drivers' license is also required. Salary range is $42,000-$50,000 depending upon qualifications.
The Berks County Public Library System is a department of county government charged with providing library services to the 401,000 residents through outreach activities and administrative and support services to the 19 member libraries.
All interested applicants must complete a County of Berks employment application at:
Applications can be submitted:
Iin person or by U.S. mail to:
County of Berks Human Resources Department
633 Court Street, 8th Floor
Reading, Pa 19601
By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax to 610-478-6084
Barrett Paradise Friendly Library (Posted 12/02/2014)
Children’s Services Specialist
Children's Services Specialist : Barrett Paradise Friendly Library in Cresco, PA, is seeking a children's services specialist, 30 hours per week including some nights and Saturdays. The applicant must have a minimum of an Associate Degree in Education or a related field. Previous experience with children and knowledge of public library work is preferred. $10-12.00 per hour depending on experience. Send resume Cindy DeLuca, Director 6500 Route 191, Cresco, PA 18326.
Northampton Area Public Library (Posted 11/26/2014)
The Northampton Area Public Library is seeking an innovative, community minded, collaborative individual to lead our library into the future.
The Library Director is the chief administrative and executive officer for the library and, as such, has the ultimate responsibility for the overall health and success of the library. The Director advises the Board of Trustees on such matters as programming, finances, purchasing policies, strategic planning and other matters of significance. A critical function of the director will be the promotion of Library services in the Northampton community and engagement of community groups, leaders, and patrons in support of the library. Northampton Public Library employs a Director of Operations who is responsible for the day-to-day financials and overall library operations, e.g., on-line and networking systems and oversight of personnel. The Director of Operations reports to the Library Director.
The applicant must possess a Master's Degree in Library/Information Science and a Certificate of Public Librarianship, and have experience in public library service. Demonstrated history of responsible administrative or supervisory experience is preferred.
Upon hire, the applicant must provide Act 34 Criminal Record Check and Act 151 Child Abuse History clearance.
For full consideration, please send resume covering relevant experience and education, a meaningful letter detailing your interest and qualifications for the position, plus names and contact information for three professional references to:
Northampton Area Public Library
1615 Laubach Ave.
Northampton, PA 18067
Community Library of the Shenango Valley (Posted 11/22/2014)
Position Description: The Board of Trustees of the Community Library of the Shenango Valley seeks an energetic, enthusiastic and experienced leader to continue its commitment to quality public library service. The Director will work closely with the Board of Trustees, staff and local stakeholders to develop and articulate the vision for library service, design and implement strategic initiatives, and promote library services within the community. The Director will also be responsible for personnel supervision, budget preparation and management, grant solicitation, collection development, and overall management of the Library. The Community Library of the Shenango Valley serves the residents of the City of Sharon and the City of Hermitage. The Library is located Sharon, PA. This position is a full-time, 40 hr/wk position and compensation includes a salary of $40,000 with an excellent benefit package including health insurance, vacation and sick leave, and a retirement plan.
Requirements: Minimum qualifications include a Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program, a minimum of three years of progressively responsible library leadership, excellent interpersonal skills, experience in providing sound fiscal planning and management, and a thorough knowledge of current trends, technology, and best practices for public libraries, as well as the ability to work effectively with the public, library staff and local government entities. For more information about the library, visit our website at www.clsv.net .
How to apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and references (3 professional and 2 personal) to Search Committee at Community Library of the Shenango Valley, 11 N. Sharpsville Ave, Sharon, PA 16146 or by emailing email@example.com .
Stockton College Library (Posted 11/20/2014)
Two Postitions Available
We currently have two openings at the Stockton College Library that do not require an MLS but prefer library experience or classes.
There is one full time position in Circulation as a Library Assistant and one part time position on the Information Desk available.
Here is the link to the page with both listings:
Muhlenberg Community Library (Posted 11/20/2014)
The primary responsibility for this position is the coordination and planning of services for children from baby to 6th grade. The Children's Librarian will have full supervision of the Children's Area and maintain a quiet, safe, productive and attractive environment. The ideal candidate for this position will have a passion for working with children and parents, a strong knowledge of children's literature, and a professional, helpful, positive attitude.
- A MLS degree in Library Science or Master's in related field is required.
- Significant experience working with parents and children preferred.
- Broad knowledge of children's literature.
- Strong commitment to customer service as well as the ability to build positive relationships with parents, children, and community members.
- Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills required.
- Must have computer skills including the ability to use Microsoft Office.
- Able to work independently and be self-motivated as well as be a part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and Saturdays.
- Provide Act 34 Criminal Record Check and Act 151 Child Abuse History.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Plans and implements children's programming, including story times, school age programs, and Summer Reading programs.
- Creates and develops marketing strategies for promoting children's programming.
- Creates youth-friendly displays, bulletin boards, signs, and other accompanying promotional materials.
- Purchases materials for children's collection.
- Plans, tracks and reports statistics for children's programming.
- Weeds and maintains youth collection.
- Provides patron off-site outreach programs to youth groups which may include preschools, schools, and other community groups.
- Ability to organize and manage a group of volunteer parents.
- Supports circulation staff as needed.
- May serve as Librarian in charge if needed.
- Attends workshops and seminars as appropriate.
- Purchases supplies for youth programming/activities.
- Performs other duties as instructed and assigned by the Library Director.
Supervised by: Library Director
Hours: Hours will include day, evening and weekend hours. Average 25 hours per week.
Penn State Abington Library (Posted 11/13/2014)
Part-Time Library Assistant
The Penn State Abington Library has an opening for a part-time Library Assistant, 9.5 hours per week, evenings and weekends. Responsibilities will include reference and circulation duties and assisting with other tasks and special projects as assigned. Excellent interpersonal, customer service, verbal and written skills. Ability to work both independently and with others in a team environment. Good computer skills. Commitment to providing responsive and innovative services to a culturally and racially diverse campus. High degree of reliability and ability to work a flexible schedule. Prefer some library experience. To apply, please complete the online application. In addition, please submit a letter of application and resume including names of three references.
To apply go to http://psu.jobs/Search/Opportunities.html
Bensalem Branch of the Bucks County Free Library (Posted 11/06/2014)
Assistant Library Manager
Bucks County Free Library has an exciting opportunity for a highly dynamic candidate to be part of the management team at the Bensalem branch of Bucks County Free Library. Are you someone who is passionate about working with the public in a large and diverse community? Are you able to inspire your staff to provide the best customer service they possibly can? Then, this job is for you!
POSITION SUMMARY: The ideal candidate for the Assistant Library Manager position will be skilled in management duties that will be shared with the Library Manager, including oversight of all key functions. In addition, s/he will direct and oversee day-to-day operations of the work unit, schedule, supervise, train and evaluate staff; and work with the Library Manager, support staff, and branch staff to ensure that the work unit meets county-wide operational and strategic goals as well as customer service standards. The Assistant Library Manager performs many of the same duties as subordinate staff and is familiar with all functions and staff responsibilities of the work unit. This is an FLSA exempt management position.
The well-rounded candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, be comfortable and capable using and demonstrating computers, tablets, and gadgets. S/he will have a strong knowledge of technology and a demonstrated ability to instruct and teach both library users and staff individually and in groups. Knowledge of how to operate various types of equipment, including digital and video cameras, and the ability to apply best practices for non-profits using social networking sites is a must.
The Assistant Library Manager directly performs clerical duties at all levels of performance and directs service desk operations, including all day-to-day circulation functions and staff. The Assistant Library Manager implements circulation, customer service, and related library policies and procedures, and is independently responsible for the accuracy of all data entry to the patron database and library catalog, as well as data entry performed by service desk staff. Under the Library Manager's guidance the Assistant Library Manager will plan for and evaluate circulation functions and ensure that staff understand and follow library policies, procedures, practices, priorities, and goals. Applicant must provide on date of hire at own expense the following three required clearances: PA State Police Criminal Record Check; PA Child Abuse History Clearance; and FBI fingerprint-based background check.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a bachelor's degree
- At least five years progressively responsible public library or customer service experience, including three years of direct supervision
TO APPLY: You will find a complete job posting with instructions on how to apply along with a job description on the Bucks County Free Library website at http://www.buckslib.org/jobs.
Robesonia Community Library (Posted 10/30/2014)
The Robesonia Community Library is seeking a Library Director. Responsibilities include: overseeing daily library operations, budgeting, filing reports, attending meetings, supervising staff, and collection development. The applicant must have the ability to work with the public, and have good organizational and computer skills. The Director will work 30 hours a week at a salary of $26,500 a year. A college degree with at least 12 credits in Library Science is required. A degree in Library Science is preferred.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Robesonia Community Library
Attn: Kathy Bashore
75-A South Brooke Street
Robesonia, PA 19551
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Fleetwood Area Public Library (Posted 10/16/2014)
Part-Time Library Clerk
Fleetwood Area Public Library seeks an enthusiastic, friendly, and punctual individual to fulfill the duties of part-time library clerk, under the supervision of the Library Director. This position includes working independently at the circulation desk, opening and closing the library as needed, and assisting patrons with locating items in the library. In addition, this individual will assist patrons with basic computer questions, send newly acquired materials to processing, and other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
The ideal candidate for this position works well in a team-oriented environment, enjoys working with people of all ages, possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, strong customer service skills, and is proficient in all Microsoft applications.
The position is approximately 12.5 hours per week (Mondays 8:30AM-12:30PM, Tuesdays 1PM-5PM, and Fridays 8:30AM-1PM), one Saturday per month, and extra hours as assigned by the Library Director. Vacation time is available upon one calendar year of employment. State child abuse and criminal clearances are required. You must have a Berks County Public Library card in good standing. Salary is negotiable based upon experience. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please deliver or send your resume and three professional references to:
Fleetwood Public Library
Attn: Stephanie Williams, Library Director
110 West Arch St. Suite 209
Fleetwood, PA 19522
EMAIL to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fleetwood Area Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Brandywine Community Library (Posted 10/13/2014)
Brandywine Community Library, located in Topton, PA, is searching for a Library Director. The Board of Trustees is looking for someone who is motivated, creative, enthusiastic, and tech savvy to continue moving our library forward with the ever changing needs of our patrons. We want someone who will mesh seamlessly with our four person staff and help us continue to service the needs of our four surrounding communities.
Under the direction of the Board, the Library Director will develop, administer, supervise, communicate, motivate and coordinate the work of the library and staff. They will perform managerial duties related to personnel and collection development as well as conform with our established policies. The Director reports to the Board of Trustees and will be required to attend our monthly board meeting with a report of any items of concern or updates that occur at the library. The Director will be asked to help develop yearly goals, help with fundraising/marketing ideas, prepare state reports, and assist in yearly budget development.
Candidate must qualify as a Provisional Librarian in Pennsylvania (Bachelor's Degree plus 12 credit hours of library science).
Salary range: $30,030 - $35,490 with sick leave and vacation commensurate with experience and degree.
Please send resume, cover letter and professional reference to:
Brandywine Community Library
Board of Trustees
60 Tower Drive
Topton, PA 19562
Bethlehem Area Public Library (Posted 10/09/2014)
Part-Time Branch Adult Services Technician
The Branch Adult Services Technician’s responsibilities include general library tasks, customer service, reference, homebound delivery service, adult programming, outreach, and other special projects as assigned by the Branch Manager.
- Bachelor's degree or two-year library technical certificate, or equivalent, plus two years of experience working in libraries
- Ability to work well with the public
- Reference skills, with proficiency in internet and online database searching
- Bilingual, with verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English
- Proficiency with the use of computers
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with others in person, by telephone, and via email
- Ability to assist at the Circulation desk, as needed
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the homebound delivery service
- Provides reference and reader's advisory assistance to patrons
- Translates English language flyers into Spanish language
- Purchases materials for the English as a Second Language/Literacy Collection at the Branch
- Performs general duties at the Circulation desk
- Displays give-away materials and posts informational library flyers
- Plans and facilitates adult programming
- Reads professional journals relating to position
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Cecil County Public Library Chesapeake City Maryland Branch (Posted 10/09/2014)
This professional, managerial, and supervisory position is responsible for the public services operations of the Chesapeake City Branch Library. Areas of responsibility include coordinating the operations of the branch, training and developing staff, marketing collection's and services, and ensuring the delivery of quality library materials and services to the public, and managing general/routine branch related facility/security issues. The Branch Manager directly supervises the branch staff, and works under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Public Services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for the Library within the broad goals and objectives of CCPL.
- Oversee and provide leadership for the development, implementation, and marketing of creative and effective services and collections in Adult, Children's, and Circulation departments.
- Manage and/or coordinate the implementation of projects.
- Serve as Community Liaison to the greater Chesapeake City community.
- Supervise, develop, and evaluate staff under his/her direction.
- Schedule public service staff and substitutes effectively and within budgetary limitations.
- Works with Material Manager/Selectors to direct the development, maintenance, and evaluation of local collections.
- Work under the direction of and collaboratively with the Assistant Director for Public Services to improve CCPL's services and procedures.
- Interpret, explain, and implement CCPL policies and procedures.
- Resolve patron complaints.
- May participate in interviewing and hiring staff.
- Provides public library services including circulation, reader's guidance and reference services.
- Participate on teams and committees at both the system level and as a team leader or project manager.
- Manage general/routine branch-related facility/security issues.
- Master's degree in Library Science from a program accredited or recognized as an equivalent by the American Library Association.
- Knowledge of management theory and practices with demonstrated skills and judgment in public library management and problem solving.
- Considerable experience in public libraries that includes at least 3 years of supervisory at the branch/department head level. Demonstrated skills in staff training and development.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and market creative and effective public library programs, collections, and services.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library collection development and maintenance, marketing, and display.
- Working knowledge of library automation procedures, electronic reference, and use of the Internet for library services.
- Knowledge and experience with a variety of types of electronic hardware devices for computing, listening, viewing, gaming and new technologies.
- Willingness and ability to acquire knowledge of advanced library computer systems, applications and new digital training methods.
- Considerable knowledge of user's interests, authors, books, current events and new materials formats.
- Ability to analyze and organize effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships with supervisors, staff, the community, and members of the public.
- Ability to work with patrons from all walks of life in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
- Ability to analyze and perform and or manage a wide variety of library projects.
- Knowledge of books, authors, current events.
Manheim Central School District (Posted 10/09/2014)
School Librarian/Media Specialist - Doe Run/H.C. Burgard Elementary Schools
Manheim Central School District is seeking a full-time, School Librarian/Media Center Specialist.
This is a permanent, professional opening beginning with the second semester of the 2014-2015 school year (anticipated start date of January 22, 2015).
PA Certification in Library Science K-12 required.
Last Updated 12/05/2014 WJ