Employment Opportunities and Internships in Library and Learning Technologies
READING PUBLIC LIBRARY
Librarian II - Reference
The primary function of this position is meeting the information requirements of patrons by answering questions, instructing proper use of informational tools, directing patrons to the location of library resources, evaluating resources that answer questions, developing collections, and retaining reference statistics. This position also works closely with library administration and other departments to deliver adult programs and outreach services, to assist other departments in meeting collection development goals and requirements, and undertake weeding of the collection in compliance with discipline standards.
• Performs reference services
• Reviews professional literature to make considered selections of new library material
• Submits regular material orders
• Weeds collection according to discipline standards
• Provides instructional classes for both patrons and co-workers
• Creates and maintains pathfinders and subject bibliographies
• Prepares reports as required and recommends policy changes
• Executes adult programming initiatives
• Keeps informed of developments and participates in activities of professional and community organizations
• Advises in budget recommendations
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Science from an ALA-accredited library school is required
• Three years professional library experience preferred or an equivalent of experience indicating ability to assume responsibilities involved
Checks and Clearances
• Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check
• Mandated Reporting on Child Abuse
• Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance
• Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check
Qualified, interested candidates must submit a current resume and application to the City of Reading Human Resources Department. Email: email@example.com or Attn: Human Resources, 815 Washington St, Reading, PA 19601. The City of Reading is an equal opportunity employer. The City of Reading does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or gender.
Reading Public Library
DAUPHIN COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
Youth Services Specialist
The Dauphin County Library System is looking for a dynamic Youth Services Specialist to join our team and to continue to promote lifelong learning for the children and families that we serve. This position attends to two of our libraries - East Shore Area and Kline. Major functions include administrative duties, development and implementation of programs, and community engagement that promotes our collections and services. The hours for this full time position include days, some evenings and weekends.
DCLS: Dauphin County Library System (The Library) provides quality public library service to the residents of Dauphin County through eight library locations, a robust website, community outreach activities, and a 24 hour automated phone line. As a private, non-profit corporation governed by a 17 member Board of Trustees, The Library employs 150 staff members, and serves a population of 231,000 people living in a blend of urban, rural, and suburban areas.
SUMMARY: Join a team that gives children a solid foundation for their future by becoming part of the Dauphin County Library System Youth Services group! We are currently seeking a full time Youth Services Specialist to be based at the East Shore Area and Kline Libraries. This position provides public services focusing on youth and family, and develops and delivers programming both in our libraries and in outreach settings in the community.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: BA/BS degree in Elementary Education or Early Childhood Education or 4 year degree with certification in Elementary Education. Master of Library Science (MLS) with specialization in Children’s Services preferred. Experience with children’s literature and planning and implementing youth programming preferred. Two years active experience using MS Office Suite or equivalent, and searching the Internet in a Windows environment. Must have excellent customer service and communication skills, ability to reach and bend to place books on shelves, kneeling and sitting on the floor during programs. Valid PA Driver’s license and independent transportation to our various libraries and community locations.
RATE OF PAY: $16/hour with potential supervisory differential and benefits.
SCHEDULE: This position is full time, 37.5 hours/week, for 52 weeks per year, including days, evenings, and weekends.
CONRAD WEISER SCHOOL DISTRICT
Long-Term Substitute Librarian
The Conrad Weiser School District is seeking a Long-Term Substitute Librarian for the Middle School beginning on September 1, 2016. More information and application information can be found at http://www.conradweiser.org/ or by contacting Allison Swoyer, Library Media Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org/.
CHICHESTER SCHOOL DISTRICT
District Library Media Specialist K-12
SUMMARY: The District Library Media Specialist collaborates with teaching staff in the development of student literacy through the administration of the library media program, provides specialized instruction to students and teaching staff, and oversees the selection, organization, utilization, and maintenance of library, information, and curriculum resources. The mission of the library media program is "to ensure that students are effective users of ideas and information".
The District Library Media Specialist reports to the principal, and works with the Director of Instructional Technology and Data Management, and district curriculum and technical staff to coordinate library and educational technology programs. The Library Media Specialist interacts daily with students, teachers, parents, administrators, and other district staff.
Although primarily stationed at the middle and high school, the District Library Media Specialist is responsible for evaluating, selecting, and ordering all books and materials for the District libraries (K-12).
Complete Job Description can be found at: https://chichester.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=310
THE MARPLE PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Marple Public Library, a busy suburban library located 10 miles west of Philadelphia in Broomall, PA (population +/- 23,700), is seeking a dynamic, innovative leader for the position of Library Director. The new director will have ultimate managerial responsibility, subject to Board oversight, for all library operations and services. Candidates must exhibit a passion for librarianship and technology, proven management and communication skills, and the ability to both direct daily operations and assist the Board in strategic direction.
For a full job description and application instructions and for other Delaware County openings visit: http://www.delcolibraries.org/library-jobs-0
David Belanger, Director
Delaware County Libraries
340 N Middletown Rd Bldg 19
Media, PA 19063
HERR MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Part-time Teen Services Coordinator
Position Overview: The Teen Services Coordinator will be an energetic, team-oriented person with a strong public service commitment. They will provide library services and programming for and with teens (typically ages 12-18). They will have consistent contact and collaboration with teens, including those with diverse backgrounds and abilities. TS Coordinator will work most of their time in the Teen Space during open hours and their Saturday in the staffing rotation (15-20 hours per week).
Essential Job Functions:
• Have a passion for working with youth.
• Create a positive, inviting atmosphere for all patrons, with special emphasis on teens.
• Perform community and school outreach, both in person and through social media.
• Have strong knowledge of teen literature and graphic novels and be adept at performing readers' advisory for teens.
• Conduct community needs assessments to identify teen needs, to tailor programs to address those needs.
• Instruct teens and caregivers in information gathering, research skills and digital literacy skills.
• Plan, implement and evaluate library programs and services that will fulfill the diverse educational, recreational and personal needs of local teens. Including but not limited to; advisory board, classes and workshops.
• Oversee and direct Teen Advisory Board.
• Work closely with Director to create and maintain teen library collection including relevant print and digital resources.
• Help with Dinner & Auction.
• Provide program information to the UCLS Public Relations Assistant for adequate promoting/marketing.
Non-essential Job Functions:
• Knowledge of current trends in library services for teens
• Knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, internet and database search capabilities
• Knowledge of best practices in teen services
• Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, patrons and community
• Circulation desk duty
• Work Teen Space hours and one Saturday in the staff rotation
• High School Diploma/Bachelors Degree Preferred
• Experience working for and with teens (ages 12-18)
• One or more years of professional experience in a library setting preferred
• Criminal Record Check
• Child Abuse Check
• FBI Check
• 3 Continuing Education Credits / year
• Valid PA Drivers License
• Work well with others
• Be kind and courteous
• Love teens
• Be organized
• Be reliable
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
BIG SPRING SCHOOL DISTRICT
Elementary Librarian / Media Specialist Applicant
The Big Spring School District has an Elementary Librarian/Media Specialist position available for the 2016/2017 school year. The job posting and application can be found by clicking here or by going to www.bigspringsd.org / WELCOME Tab / Employment Link.
Stacy E. Lehman
BIG SPRING SCHOOL DISTRICT
45 Mt. Rock Road Newville, PA 17241
MUHLENBERG COMMUNITY LIBRARY
The Muhlenberg Community Library is seeking an enthusiastic and friendly part-time library clerk to work at the circulation desk for approximately 12-18 hours a week.
Weekday evenings from 2-8. Saturdays 9 to 4. At least two Saturdays a month. Other hours as needed. The ideal candidate for this position works well in a team-oriented environment, enjoys working with people of all ages, possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, has strong customer service skills, and is proficient in all Microsoft applications. A flexible schedule is a must. Bilingual preferred.
The following three clearances are required prior to start date: PA Child Abuse Clearance, PA Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Background Check.
Please mail/email your resume and three professional references to:
Melissa Adams, Library Director
Muhlenberg Community Library
3612 Kutztown Rd.
Laureldale, Pa. 19605
ANTIETAM SCHOOL DISTRICT
Secondary Librarian/Media Specialist
The Antietam School District is seeking a Secondary Librarian/Media Specialist for the 2016/2017 calendar school year.
- Develop and maintain a school library media program that addresses 21st Century skills.
- Partner with teaching colleagues to integrate information, technology, and research skills into the curriculum.
- Actively promote reading, information literacy skills, and information resource use.
Please submit letter, resume, standard PA application, clearances, transcripts, PA Library Science certificate, and three letters of recommendation to:
Dr. Melissa G. Brewer, Superintendent
Antietam School District
100 Antietam Road
Reading, PA 19606
THE HAVERFORD SCHOOL
Middle School Librarian
The Haverford School is looking for a Middle School Librarian for the 2016/2017 school year.
Visit the website below for job description and employment application:
-How to apply-
Interested candidates can apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and employment application to Head of Information Services Lisa Snyder at email@example.com.
COMMUNITY LIBRARY OF THE SHENANGO VALLEY
Part-time Branch Manager
The Community Library of the Shenango Valley in Sharon, PA, has an opening for a branch manager at their Stey-Nevant branch in Farrell, PA. This is a part-time, 24-hour per week position with an annual salary of $16,000. Job description and application are attached. If interested, please send completed application, resume, and cover letter to the address or email address below.
Job description and application can be found at: http://www.clsv.net/employment.html
Robin L. Pundzak, Director
Community Library of the Shenango Valley
11 N. Sharpsville Avenue
Sharon, PA 16146
MANHEIM TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY
Youth Services Assistant (Part-time)
This part time (up to 24 hrs/wk) position requires knowledge of children's and teen literature, and experience in youth services and technology. This employee assists with planning and presenting story times and youth programs, developing the collection and supervising the children's area in the absence of the manager.
Send cover letter, resume and references to:
Katrina Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org with Application YSA16 in the subject field. Position open until filled. EOE.
LOWER MACUNGIE LIBRARY
The Lower Macungie Library is seeking an innovative, energetic and personable individual to perform cataloging and reference desk duties. This position is not for the cataloger who wants to surround themselves with walls of books as they process MARC records all day. We are looking for someone who loves finding the best ways to organize and process our collection to meet our community's needs and who will work collaboratively with other library staff to help patrons with reference questions.
• MLS/MLIS is preferred
• Minimum of one year experience as a cataloger
• Experience in original and copy cataloging of print and non-print materials according to RDA, AACR2, MARC 21, LCSH and Dewey classification.
• Extensive experience with library reference sources, print and online
A 29 hour work week will be scheduled during business days (Monday through Friday). Wage begins at $15.00 per hour.
Applicants may submit a letter of intent, resume and contact information for three professional references. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and should be sent in Microsoft Word format to email@example.com. Mailing address: Kathee Rhode, Executive Director, Lower Macungie Library 3450 Brookside Rd. Macungie, PA 18062.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
DIMMICK MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 to 5:00
Requirements-Provisional Librarian Certification
Nature of Work:
Under the direction of the Library Board of Directors this employee performs professional and supervisory work in planning, implementing and managing a comprehensive program of service to library patrons.
Experience and Training:
Provisional Librarian Certificate: requires a Bachelor's degree from a 4 year college or agency accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools with at least 12 credits in Library Science.
1. Is responsible for the overall administration of the library
a. Assists Board in short and long range planning
b. Works with staff to review current service, address concerns and plan future service.
c. Reviews and refines procedures to produce optimal service.
d. Recommends changes in or additions to library policies as needed.
2. Serves as Finance Director for the Library
a. Prepares annual budget in consultation with the library board
b. Monitors all revenue and expenditures to maintain figures within budget parameters; reviews and approves all expenditures.
c. Oversees all financial transactions and required local, state, and federal reporting.
d. Prepares of annual report to the state library.
3. Is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the physical plant to ensure safe and attractive facilities.
4. Is responsible for collection development for all materials in the library; this includes ordering processing, weeding, and inventory of the collections according to guidelines in the policy.
5. Represents the library at Allentown Library District meetings.
6. Interfaces with community members and groups to develop support for the library; prepare publicity and handle media relations.
The library director is expected to keep abreast of current trends and techniques in public library service; participate in the activities of professional library organizations; and pursue continuing education.
The Director must have the following clearances as required by the state: PA Child Abuse History Clearance and PA State Police Criminal Record Check, FBI, and mandatory reporter training.
This position requires:
- standing for up to 7 hours per day, 4 hours at a time
- frequent use of hands/fingers for data entry
- ability to occasionally carry or lift up to 15 pounds
- ability to use steep and narrow stairs
- hearing as it relates to normal conversation
- seeing as it relates to general vision.
Please reply to this email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Part time Circulation Desk Assistant
Part time Circulation Desk Assistant needed immediately.
Work in a pleasant environment assisting patrons, opening and closing library and shelving items. Late afternoons,
evenings and Saturdays. Knowledge of Windows based
applications necessary, love of libraries a must. Please send a cover letter and resume to
SOUTH FAYETTE TOWNSHIP LIBRARY
Youth Services Specialist
If You are:
• Highly energetic and creative, understanding the public library is the heart of a healthy community.
• Filled with vision to take a strong children's department and make it better than we've dreamed.
• A master of programming who will engage a community of highly intelligent and inquisitive children.
• Knowledgeable about children's and young adult resources in all formats.
• Able to develop relationships with schools, daycares and other organizations that serve youth.
• Adept at working with other library staff.
• Unfamiliar with the word 'impossible.'
• A vibrant public library in southwestern Allegheny County.
• Part of one of the top-ranked school districts in Pennsylvania.
• A growing community whose residents move here for the education offered through the school and our library.
• Part of the Allegheny County Library Association, with access to the plethora of resources they provide.
If You have:
• A background in youth services.
• A passion for connecting children and books.
• The MLIS degree or other relevant experience.
• A love of libraries and the power they have to change the world.
• A sense of humor and fearlessness.
• The smartest and cutest children in the world (really, we're not exaggerating).
• An active children's schedule that includes science, art and math programming, and weekly chess clubs attracting up to 50 children.
• A Summer Bridge program for curriculum enrichment/review.
• A partnership with the Bridgeville Public Library that enhances both libraries' resources.
• A tiny library with a terrific collection.
• The opportunity to build a new state-of-the-art dream facility.
• An outstanding staff filled with extroverts who take pride in their work.
• A community that is passionate about the library.
• A supportive local government.
The position is available immediately. Salary range is $31,000- $36,000 commensurate with experience and expertise. To apply, please send a resume, meaningful cover letter and list of professional references to:
Cheryl Napsha, Director
South Fayette Township Library
515 Millers Run Road
Morgan, PA 15064
No telephone calls, please.
MANOR PUBLIC LIBRARY
Children's Library Assistant
The Children's Library Assistant will provide quality programming and services to children and families at the library and in the community. This person must be professional, outgoing, friendly, and readily adaptable to changing priorities. The ideal candidate must enjoy working with children, be very familiar with children's literature, and be positive and self-motivated. A degree in library science or education is highly preferred. This is a highly visible and responsible position and as such, the children's librarian should present a positive image of the library and do whatever is necessary to support the library director and the goals and policies of the Manor Public Library.
More information about this positiion is available at http://www.manorpubliclibrary.org/#!job-opening/pbi1i/
JOIN THESE LISTSERVS IF YOU ARE
Pennsylvania School Librarians Listserv
EXCELLENT SITES FOR K-12 LIBRARY LISTINGS
UPDATED 6/18/2016 KLC