Bookmark and Share

Registering for Classes


In most cases graduate registration may be accomplished using the "MyKU" link located at:  The schedule of graduate courses is available from the Office of the Registrar each semester and can also be viewed on the web at the Registrar's Office home page.


All newly-admitted graduate students are eligible for registration two weeks following the incumbent graduate student registration start date. After the first semester of enrollment, students of regular and conditional admission status become eligible for incumbent graduate registration (i.e., first access to course selection).


Independent Study Registration

Independent Study (I.S.) offers a graduate student the opportunity to pursue an area of interest that is not offered in regular courses. In cases of documented need and upon submission of an outline for the student's proposed Independent Study, the student may submit a request for an I.S.course. This request form may be obtained in academic departments. Similar to Individualized Instruction courses, the following requirements apply:

  • Approval signatures of the instructor for the proposed I.S. course, the appropriate departmental chairperson, the dean of the college in which the course is taught, and the Graduate Dean must be secured on the request form; this process is the responsibility of the graduate student.
  • Once signed by all parties, the request form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar at the time the student registers for the semester in which the I.S. will occur.
  • The academic department of the course proposal must have an Independent Study course listed among its offerings in the Graduate Catalog (some departments choose not to offer this option).
  • Independent Study is not a guaranteed right; through the approval process, the university exercises the option to allow or not to allow the I.S. course in each case. The Graduate Dean does not approve I.S. request forms that do not have the approval of the proposed instructor, the chairperson of the appropriate department, and the College Dean.

Individual Instruction Registration

In cases of documented need, graduate students may request a course be taken by Individualized Instruction (I.I.). Approval signatures must be obtained from the instructor for the I.I. course, the chairperson of the respective department, the dean of the college in which the course is taught, and the Graduate Dean. The responsibility for obtaining these signatures, and for submitting the form to the Graduate Office at the time of registration for the semester in which the I.I. will occur, rests with the student. Individualized instruction is not a guaranteed right of any graduate student, and the option to offer or not to offer any course as I.I. is established entirely by the four approving signatures on the request form. The final approving authority is the Graduate Dean, who also makes final approval for any undergraduate courses taken by graduate students. The Graduate Dean does not approve any I.I. requests that do not have the approval of the proposed instructor, the chairperson of the appropriate academic department, and the College Dean. Students are to request I.I. only when they are unable to enroll in the course at the regularly-offered time slot because of special circumstances. I.I. courses are not available to professional credits students.


Thesis Registration

Students wishing to complete a thesis must first complete the Thesis Course Registration form and submit it to the Registrar's office.  The Electronic Thesis Submission Information details the steps needed to complete a thesis. Questions about this process can be directed toward the Graduate Studies Office.


Professional Credits Registration

Professional credit status individuals who are interested in registering for COU or CPY Courses will be able to do as follows:


  • Registration period begins 2 weeks before the start of the semester.
  • No more than 9 credits may be taken under Professional Credit status.
  • Contact must be made with the Department (610-683-4204 or
  • The course(s) being requested must still have seats open and have no prerequisites.


Transfer Credits

Students wishing to take a course(s) at another institution and have the credits transferred back to Kutztown University are required to meet with their advisors for pre-approval of the course(s). Students should be aware that no more than 1/3 of their total degree credits can be completed at another institution and counted as transfer credit. The course transfer process begins in the Graduate Studies Office.