Bookmark and Share

Graduation & Certification





Applications for Graduation are available on the MyKU.



Initial School Counseling Certification. Upon successful completion the School Counseling Program, or specified certification courses, and qualifying scores on the PRAXIS  examination, students are eligible for certification as a Pennsylvania Certified School Counselor. All instructions and links are available on the College of Education website.  To apply for certification: Go to the KU College of Education website. On the left hand side of this website you will see:  How to Apply for Your Teacher and School Counselor Certification

Subsequent School Counseling Certifications. For students who already have a Master's degree, an "Intent to Certify" form is necessary to process the additional school counseling certification.  This can be found on the College of Education website in the Post-Baccalaureate section.

Counselor Licensure - Licensed Marital and Family Therapist

Pennsylvania Counselor Licensure Regulations.State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors Amended Act 63 P.S. 1906(2),General Assembly enactment Dec. 21, 1998 (P.L. 1017, No. 136),

Pennsylvania Counselor Licensure Board.State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors,P.O. Box 2649, Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649, 717-783-1389

Continuing Education for School Counselors -ACT 48.

Effective July 1, 2000, ACT 48 of 1999 requires all educators who hold a Pennsylvania public school certificate to complete 180 hours of continuing education every five years in order to maintain active certification. In order to remain compliant, educators must earn:

• 6 Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) - approved in-service credits OR

• 6 college credits OR

• 180 continuing professional education hours OR

• any combination of these listed


Note: Credits or Courses must be related to your area of expertise or certification as defined by the act.