Bookmark and Share

Application & Admission

  Application Procedure


The Graduate Admission Office coordinates the admission process for all applicants to graduate programs at KU. Communications regarding the application process should be addressed to :


Graduate Admissions Office

Kutztown University

Boxwood House

P.O. Box 730

Kutztown, PA 19530

Telephone: (610) 683-4201



Admissions Checklist


___ _ Completed Application Form located on the Graduate Admissions Webpage  -received by deadline (3/1 for Fall admission; 10/1 for Spring admission).

_____ Processing Fee

_____ 3 Letters of Recommendation written within the last 2 years (at least one academic reference if applicant

      graduated within the last 5 years)

_____ Bachelor's degree transcripts received (3.0 GPA verified).* **


_____ For Counseling Students

_____ Statement of Helping Relationship Incident

1. Describe a situation in which you attempted to help another person.

2. What kind of help did you give?

3. What personal experiences/values/qualities did you bring to the helping situation?

4. What did you learn about yourself from this situation?

5. What might you do differently if this situation presented itself again?

_____ For Student Affairs Students 

_____ Statement of knowledge and experience in Student Affairs

1. Discuss your knowledge of the field of student affairs and how this knowledge was acquired.

2. Discuss salient under graduate experiences (undergraduate student worker volunteer, peer mentor, student leader, tour guide, etc.) that have contributed to the attainment of this knowledge.

3. How will this experience influence your future work in the field?

_____ Resume (Highlight experiences in the field of student affairs) 


If GPA is below the minimum requirement, an application may be submitted for consideration of Conditional Admission.  Students accepted under Conditional Admission status are required to obtain a grade of "B" or better in three Kutztown University COU Core I courses (one being COU 530, if possible).




Admissions Process


Applicants who have submitted a completed application to the Graduate Admissions Office will be notified by the Department of Counseling & Student Affairs (COU/STU) to attend a group admissions interview. After all interviews have been completed, the COU/STU faculty meet to make decisions regarding each application. Admissions decisions are submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office. This office will then send notification letters to applicants.


Note: Application Limit: Applicants to COU/STU Programs may re-apply only once after initial application has been denied. Regardless of the situation, the Department will not accept a third application to any of its programs.


Professional Credit Admissions


The Professional Credit option gives students the opportunity to take courses in non-degree status.  This can be done for several reasons.  Students can establish a graduate GPA as a Professional Credit student if the undergraduate GPA does not meet admission standards.  Professional Credit courses can be transferred into other institutions in most cases.  Nine professional credits (three courses) can be transferred into a KU academic program. Also, students must earn a grade of B or better to transfer Professional Credit courses into a degree program.  Professional Credit students are not eligible for financial aid and must be paid for out of pocket or by an employer. Successfully completing courses as a Professional Credits student does not guarantee admission into a Master's degree program.



Post-Masters School Certification Admissions


Applicants holding a counseling or counseling-related degree, returning only for School Counseling Certification can apply by completing regular graduate admissions process. Applications will be reviewed under a rolling admissions policy. If accepted, the COU/STU faculty will assist in course selection and enrollment using the following guidelines.


All certification-only students must have a master's degree in counseling or a counseling-related field.  Transcripts will be reviewed after application to determine related courses. All applicants must complete a minimum of 18 credits to add the school counseling certification to the existing master's degree.



COU 522

Professional Orientation and Ethics in School Counseling - 3 cr.


COU 580

Practicum in Counseling (School Setting) - 3 cr.


COU 590

Supervised Counseling Experience (Internship/School Setting -

Fall Semester) - 3 cr.


COU 590

Supervised Counseling Experience (Internship/School Setting -

Spring Semester) - 3 cr.


COU 540

Role of the School Counseling with Diverse Learners - 3 cr.


One of the following courses:


COU 541

Counseling Children and Adolescents on the

Autism Spectrum - 3 cr.


COU 542

Counseling Children and Adolescents with Mental

Health Disabilities - 3 cr.


SPU 514

Effective Instructional Strategies for Students with

Disabilities in Inclusive Settings - 3 cr.




Post-Masters School Certification (Second Certification)


Applicants holding a School Counseling Certification in one area (Elementary or Secondary) may return for an additional certification by completing regular graduate admissions process.  Applications will be reviewed under a rolling admissions policy.  If accepted, the COU/STU faculty will assist in course selection based on the requirements specified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).


Post-Masters Licensure Credit Admissions


Professional Credits students, who hold a Master's degree in Counseling or a Counseling-related field of at least 48 credits, can meet the 60 credit hour Licensed Professional Counselor requirement by admission through the Graduate Admissions Office and the COU/STU department.  Students pursuing this option should have a list of courses required by the Licensing Board.