An overall orientation to the Counseling and Student Affairs Department is provided in the Fundamentals of Counseling course. Students admitted to the Student Affairs in Higher Education (Administration) program will be notified about participation in an orientation to take place near the end of the Spring semester prior to beginning their programs.
Upon admission to the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs, students are assigned an academic advisor. Students are recommended to meet with their advisor once per semester for course planning. Students are advised to select classes by following the curriculum outlined in the student's particular degree program (Curriculum check sheets are available here).
A suggested list of tasks is as follows:
STUDENT ADVISEMENT CHECKLIST
- WEBSITE AND HANDBOOK - Thoroughly read and familiarize yourself with the COU/STU Department Website and student handbook.
- E-MAIL - Secure KU e-mail address. Check this account on a daily basis.
- D2L - Secure KU D2L account.
- ORIENTATION - Attend Graduate Studies orientation. A department specific orientation is held in COU530 Fundamentals of Counseling.
- REGISTRATION - Begin course planning by following the curriculum guide for your Program/Track. Register for classes online. Maintain contact with your advisor to assure proper scheduling of classes.
- CLEARANCES -For School Counseling Students only. Upon admission Secure Act 34 Criminal History Report, Act 151 Child Abuse History Report, TB Test, Act 114 FBI Federal Criminal History Record, Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report and Professional Liability Insurance. All background checks must be completed during the first semester of study in the program and renewed on a yearly basis during the summer months. Copies of clearances should be uploaded to Task Stream. http://www2.kutztown.edu/academics/colleges-and-departments/education/for-students/taskstream.htm
- CANDIDACY - Meet with your advisor to apply for Candidacy (between 12 and 24 credits).
- COMPLETION OF CORE I - Complete all Core I Courses prior to COU580 (Practicum) registration.
- PRACTICUM AND INTERNSHIP ORIENTATION- Attend an orientation meeting (held the Spring semester before doing the Practicum course).
- PRACTICUM - Secure a practicum site and obtain advisor approval. Practicum registration forms, contract, and malpractice insurance are due the 3rd Monday of October for guaranteed spring registration. For school counseling students, a second set of background checks must be submitted to the Office of Clinical Experience and Outreach prior to course registration.
- INTERNSHIP - Secure an internship site and obtain advisor approval. Internship contracts are due the last Monday in April prior to the internship semester.
- PRAXIS II -School counseling students must take the PRAXIS II: Professional School Counselor examination.
- COMPREHENSIVE EXAM -Apply (during practicum semester) to take comprehensive examinations during your internship year.
- GRADUATION - Submit application for graduation through MyKU. If School Certification only, submit Declaration of Intent to Certify form for the College of Education
- CERTIFICATION - Apply for certification. All students who graduate from School Counseling programs are eligible for certification as a School Counselor.