Bookmark and Share

Study Abroad FAQ

1. What type of grades must I have to study abroad?

All students with a 2.5 GPA or higher are welcome to apply. However, some study abroad programs may require a higher GPA. Students must also have at least 24 credits earned by the semester of the study abroad in which they enroll.

2. Do I need to be proficient in a second language?

No. Programs in both English speaking countries and non-English speaking countries offer courses taught in English. However, you may be required to take at least one language course while abroad. There are also intensive language programs available, if you would like to continue your study of a language.

3. When should I begin the application process?

It is recommended that you meet with the study abroad advisor at least 6 months prior to the semester you wish to go abroad. Individual programs have varying deadlines, so it is best to begin the application process early. Don't wait until the last minute!

4. What are my study abroad options?

There are currently 5 ways to study abroad:

  • KU Exchange Agreements
    • Student pays tuition to KU; Room/board/fees paid to host university
  • Faculty-Led Summer Programs
    • Programs vary each year
  • Programs through other PASSHE schools (East Stroudsburg, Millersville, etc.)
    • Student pays tuition to sponsoring PASSHE school; Room/board/fees paid to host university
  • Other universities (Penn State, Lehigh, any school outside of PaSSHE)
    • Rules/arrangements will vary
  • Program Providers
    • No KU tuition charges; Fees paid to provider

5. Can I receive financial aid?

Most likely yes - but it will depend on the program you choose. Contact the Financial Aid Office for information.

6. How much do programs cost?

Prices will vary depending on the program you choose.

7. How long does a program last?

You can choose a 4-6 week summer session, a semester, or year-long program.

8. Will my credits transfer?

Yes - as long as you meet with your academic advisor and the Registrar's Office prior to your program. They will assist you in selecting courses that will meet your KU requirements.

9. Will my GPA transfer?

No - only credits earned will transfer. Your KU GPA will not be affected.

10. Where will I stay?

Depending on the program, you can choose between student apartments, residence halls, or family home-stays.

11. Will I need a visa?

This will depend on the country and length of your program. KU, as well as the host institution, can provide assistance in obtaining the necessary information.

12. Will there be a pre-departure orientation?

Yes! Students are REQUIRED to attend the Pre-Departure Orientation. It is held on campus during the semester prior to your semester abroad. Friends and family are welcome to join.

Study Away Events

Fall 2016