On-Campus Employment for International Students
F-1 and J-1 students who are attending KU classes may work up to 20 hours per week on campus during the fall and spring semesters. If you have more than one job, you must make sure that you do not exceed a combined total of 20 hours of on-campus work for all jobs in any given week. You may work full-time during official school breaks, including winter, spring, and summer breaks. You will need a social security number to work on campus. Review the information below to learn more about working on campus.
- Employment by KU: A job in any campus office that is run by Kutztown University
- Employment on KU property: A job for a company that provides services to students on campus, such as KUSSI (bookstore), Aramark (dining services), or PSECU (credit union)
- Off-campus work that qualifies as on-campus employment: This type of employment must meet the conditions listed below. A letter from the academic advisor or the department head certifying these points must be presented to the International Office prior to beginning work.
- The location is educationally affiliated with KU
- The affiliation is associated with KU's established curriculum or is related to a graduate-level research project, which KU has contracted to perform
- The work is an integral part or important part of the program of study
F-1 students must meet the following requirements to work on campus:
- Have a valid F-1 visa
- Continue to maintain lawful F-1 status
- Continue to take a full course load
J-1 students must meet the following requirements to work on campus:
- Be in good academic standing
- Be engaged in a full course of study
- Have the specific employment approved in advance and in writing in a letter
- Search KU job postings
- Call, email, or visit an office where you would like to work
- Read job announcements in BearEssentials
- Your full name
- A description of the employment
- Anticipated or actual start date (J-1 students also need an end date)
- Number of hours you will work per week
- Employer contact information, including full name and telephone number of immediate supervisor
- Verification that you have been hired for the position
- Original signature with signer's title and date
- J-1 students must always present an offer letter; F-1 students only need an offer letter for their first on-campus job, CPT, or OPT.
Fall 2014 Walk-In Hours will be posted here when finalized. Please call or email for an appointment with the International Office if you need assistance during the summer break: 001-484-646-4256 or email@example.com.