Frequently Asked Questions
You have questions, we have answers!
Below are some common questions asked of our office. If your question is not included, Ask HR.
BENEFITS - HEALTH BENEFITS
- How to order new Health Insurance ID Cards?
Highmark Blue Shield members:
Replacement ID Cards can be ordered directly from Highmark Blue Shield. Select "Member" tab; log-in to your account; select "Order ID card".
You can then select which of your covered members you need replacement cards for. The cards take about 10 business days to get to you via mail.
Cards can also be requested by phone - call Highmark Customer Service at 1-866-727-4935
HMO plan members -
PASSHE website under employee unit, then "Medical" tab for a list of HMO's and their websites. Log-in as member to request ID cards OR call Customer Service of HMO plan.
PEBTF website - select HMO plan and log-in as member to order ID cards OR call Customer Service of HMO plan.
PASSHE Dental Benefits through United Concordia - printable ID card can be printed on-line by logging in as member.
PEBTF Dental Benefits through United Concordia
Vision Benefits through National Vision Administrators - printable ID card available on-line via Subscriber log-in. Cards can also be ordered on-line.
Faculty - Contact local APSCUF Office for direction
PEBTF Prescription through CVS Caremark
- Where can I find current benefits forms?
You can get current forms for benefits through the PASSHE website by selecting appropriate unit and "Forms" or applicable benefit tab.
- Where can I find answers regarding my medical coverage?
Please check the PASSHE website under the appropriate group for links to information on your medical coverage.
- When is Open Enrollment?
There are various dates for Open Enrollments, here is a list:
•· PEBTF health benefits (AFSCME and SCUPA employees) Open Enrollment is usually late October for a January 1 effective date
•· PASSHE health benefits (APSCUF, Management, Coaches, OPEIU & SPFPA employees) Open Enrollment is usually late April to early May with a July 1 effective date
•· Flexible Spending Accounts Open Enrollment is usually early November with a January 1 effective date
BENEFITS - LIFE INSURANCE & LONG-TERM DISABILITY
- If I don’t sign up for Long Term Disability or Voluntary Life insurance when I am first hired, when can I join?
BENEFITS - RETIREMENT
- How much may I contribute to my ARP?
Employees are required to contribute 5% of their covered salary and may not contribute any additional amount.
- How much will the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education contribute to my ARP?
Currently the employer contribution is 9.29% of your covered salary. The rate is established by the legislature and subject to revision.
- How frequently may I change investment fund allocations?
Allocation of investment funds within a company's available fund options may be changed in accordance with the company's guidelines.
- Can I change ARP companies any time I wish?
You may change your Alternative Retirement Plan vendor selection or allocation of contributions two times during a calendar year.
- Can I select more than one ARP company and thereby "split" my contributions?
Yes. Contributions to the ARP may be split between or among any of the participating companies. Employee and employer retirement contributions are combined and then allocated based upon the chosen percentages. The minimum amount that may be contributed to a single company is 1%.
- If I become dissatisfied with the retirement plan I chose, can I switch between PSERS, SERS and the ARP?
No. Enrollment in retirement plan is a one-time, irrevocable election.
- How long do I have to elect my retirement plan?
Employees have 30 days from the date of hire or initial retirement plan eligibility to select a retirement plan. If an election is not made within 30 days, the default plan is State Employees Retirement System.
- Where can I receive more information regarding retirement plan options?
Information including links to all retirement plans can be found on the PASSHE website.
- Is the employee-paid portion of my retirement contribution made before tax?
Yes, your contributions to the contribution plans are pre-tax deductions.
BENEFITS - TUITION WAIVER
- What are the tuition waiver benefits, and how do I apply for them?
Information regarding tuition waiver as well as applicable forms by unit can be found on the Benefits - Tuition waiver webpage on the HR website.
BENEFITS - WORKERS COMPENSATION
- What do I do if get hurt at work?
All work-related accidents must be immediately reported to your supervisor who will coordinate with H.R. If you will be seeking medical treatment (other than emergency care), you should use a panel physician to guarantee coverage under Workers' Compensation.
EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS
- How do I activate my NeoGov PERFORM account?
- How do I log into my NeoGov PERFORM account after activation?
My account has been activated, but I cannot log in. There are two ways to log in after activation.
I prefer to use the KU portal with my KU Network ID and KU Network password.
1. Log in at https://idp.kutztown.edu:8143/default.aspx
2. Use your KU Network ID (enter only the name part without @kutztown.edu - firstname.lastname@example.org)
3. Enter your KU Network password
4. Select "Perform" under "Application"
5. Click on "Login"
I prefer to use the NeoGov PERFORM login site with my full email address and a self-managed password.
1. Login at https://performance.neogov.com/Login
2. Use your NeoGov Perform Account (enter your full KU email address)
3. Enter your self-managed NeoGov Perform password (If you forget your password, go to "Forgot your password?")
4. Click on "Sign In"
- How do I rate and approve a performance evaluation form as superior (supervisor)?
The goal is to EMPTY "My Dashboard". All pending actions will accumulate on "My Dashboard" under "My Tasks". If the dashboard is empty, no task has been assigned to the user. Human Resources generates the performance evaluation forms in the system. There are two steps to assess a performance evalaution for the superior. The first step is to RATE and the second step is to APPROVE or sign the performance evaluation. The superior must complete both steps for each form.
Instruction sheet for superior to assess a performance evalaution form.
- How do I acknowledge my performance evaluation form as employee?
The goal is to EMPTY "My Dashboard". All pending actions will accumulate on "My Dashboard" under "My Tasks". If the dashboard is empty, no task has been assigned to the user.
Instruction sheet for employees to acknowledge a performance evalaution form.
- How do I approve a performance evaluation form as reviewer?
The goal is to EMPTY "My Dashboard". All pending actions will accumulate on "My Dashboard" under "My Tasks". If the dashboard is empty, no task has been assigned to the user. Reviewer for performance evaluations is the superviosr/manager's manager. This is the final approval level on the workflow.
Instruction sheet for reviewer to approve a performance evalaution form.
- Which work group is conducting performance evaluations through NeoGov PERFORM?
The following work groups are completing paperless performance evaluations through NeoGov PERFORM.
• AFSCME (American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees)
• OPEIU (Office of Professional Employees International Union Healthcare Pennsylvania)
• SCUPA (The State College & University Professional Association)
• SPFPA (Security, Police, and Fire Professionals of America)
- What is my first step in creating a requisition?
When you have verbal approval to fill a position, your first step will go to the “MySearch” portal on the Human Resources page. You may contact the HR department for more detailed information.
- How do I find out the status of the requisition I submitted?
While your position is being classified in the MySearch system, you will receive emails from support@PASSHE.edu with the status updates, or you can reply to one of the support@PASSHE.edu emails you’d received in the past. Once the position classification is decided and the requisition is entered into NeoGov for approvals, you can log into NeoGov Online Hiring Center (OHC) (https://idp.kutztown.edu:8143/) with your KU network ID – not your email address - and password - and go to My Requisitions at the top right hand side.
- Why can’t I log into NeoGov to check on my requisition?
Please make sure you are in the correct portal and logging in using the correct credentials for the site you are trying to get into.
Following the link in the email from email@example.com you can use your KU email address and “reset” your password, but you will be responsible for managing that password; or,
Using the link: https://idp.kutztown.edu:8143/default.aspx, use your KU network ID (not email) and network password Select: Online Hiring Center from the drop down
- Why am I receiving this notification?
You have been placed on a leave without pay, which may be due to military, sick, parental, cyclical, or workrelated leave or an approved absence. Since you are not receiving a pay, the premiums that would normally be deducted from your paycheck must be paid.
- Can I be billed if I do not meet the threshold?
In an effort to reduce administrative costs, we have set a threshold that must be met before billing. However, we realize some may prefer to be billed on an ongoing basis, even if the threshold is not yet met. Please contact Amber Heintzelman at 717-720-4194 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a billing schedule.
- How do I know what my premiums are?
Our billing only includes PASSHE Medical and Voluntary Insurances (ADD, VGLlP, LTD). PASSHE Medical is applicable to APSCUF, Coaches, SPFPA, or OPEIU unions and non-represented employees. All premium amounts are listed on your pay statement. An electronic copy of your most recent pay statement can be found on ESS (portal.passhe.edu). If you are still unsure of your premiums amount you may contact your university benefit coordinator.
- When will I receive a bill?
You will receive a bill when your premiums accumulate to a total of $250; or if your premiums total $125 for one pay. This is to help eliminate administrative costs associated with billing smaller premium amounts. Billing is sent from the central PASSHE office the same week your pay check would have been received.
- Why is my PEBTF Medical coverage not showing on my bill?
If you are an AFSCME, SCUPA, PSSU. or PDA union employee, your medical benefits are with the PEBTF. While on a leave without pay, the PEBTF will bill you for your medical premiums.
- When can I expect to see a bill from the PEBTF for Medical coverage?
The PEBTF bills at the beginning of each month. You can expect to see a bill shortly after the beginning of each month after your leave without pay begins.
- If I have a question regarding my PEBTF premiums, who can I contact?
The PEBTF can be contacted at 1-800-522-7279, Option 3 and then Option 2, for employees on leave without pay OR https://www.pebtf.org and navigate to "make a payment" in the upper right corner of the site.
- Can I pay online or with a credit card?
We currently only accept payment by check or money order. We are however, looking into this for the future.
- What should I do if I apply for Long Term Disability
If you are applying for long term disability and have been on a leave of absence, please notify us immediately. Premiums must be paid up to date for approval of your disability. Failure to pay these premiums may result in your LTD benefit being denied. If you are approved for LTD benefits, please notify your benefit coordinator so we can stop your premium deductions.
- When will my missed premiums be deducted?
If you do not receive a bill, any missed premiums will be deducted from your first pay upon return from your leave of absence without pay. If you do not return, missed premiums will be taken from any wages you receive and/or you will be sent an invoice.
- I sent a check; why did some of my premium
amounts not change?
Because of the way our system operates, when you send payment to the central office, the amount will be applied to the first outstanding balance that is due. (In order of: Medical, AD&D, VGLlP, LTD). For example, if you owe $4 in VGLlP, $6 in LTD and send a check for $5, the amount will be applied to your $4 VGLlP premiurn first.
- What if I separate during my leave of absence?
If you separate before returning from your leave of absence, any outstanding premiums will be automatically deducted from any final wages you rnay receive. If you receive no wages, a bill will be sent to you and you will owe the premiums missed while on your active leave of absence. If you do not pay these premiums, coverage will be cancelled retroactive and you will be responsible for any claims incurred during that time period. You will also not be offered the option to convert any of your group policies.
- How much time will I have to pay my bill?
You have 30 days to pay for your missed premiums. Please note prerniurns will accrue every two weeks as biweekly checks are missed.
- If I have any other questions, who can I contact?
Please contact Amber Heintzelrnan at 717-720-4194 or email@example.com.
PAYROLL - FACULTY & STAFF
- When can I access my payroll statement?
You can view your pay statement as early as Tuesday of pay week on ESS.
- Why am I not receiving paper payroll statements?
We have gone paperless ("green") and you can now access your payroll statement on ESS if you are direct deposited. If needed, you can print it from the portal as well.
- How do I sign in through ESS?
Go to the main PASSHE website under Human Resources - Employee Self Service ("the Portal"): https://portal.passhe.edu/irj (Be sure to turn off any pop-up blockers.) You will log in using your email address and your network password.
- What can I access/change on ESS?
Employee Self-Serve (ESS) is a web-based service that provides employees with personal information related to their employment with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE). The information covers:
- Personal Information (personal data, address, emergency contact and bank information)
- Benefits (medical/vision/dental, life insurance, disability, flex spending, AD&D and Retirement)
- Leave & Time (view balances and absences & submit leave requests)
- Payroll (pay statement and W-4)
In addition to what you can view on ESS, you also have the ability to change the following:
- Emergency contact information
- W4 for federal tax withholding
- Primary telephone number
- Ethnicity/race information
- Education information
- Limited benefits enrollment
- Submit leave requests (non-instructional staff only)
- Add/change primary direct deposit account
- Enroll for electronic delivery of W-2 form
PAYROLL - STUDENT
- Where can I find the rules and regulations at Kutztown University?
You can find all the rules and regulations that have been formally approved through the Shared Governance System at KU on the Policy Register webpage. They are organized by administrative division at KU.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING
- How to update campus information for the electronic and yearly paper phonebook in ESS?
The following steps will guide you to update your campus address in Employee Self-Service (ESS). It is recommended that you keep your campus information current. You can update your own infomation at any time. See "Notes" at the bottom for special fields requirement.
Step 1: Log in to ESS with your network ID at https://portal.passhe.edu/irj/portal
Step 2: Click on "Employee Self-Service" (1st line of tool bar)
Step 3: Click on "Personal Information" (2nd line of tool bar)
Step 4: Click on “Address and Contact Information” (2nd link under “Available Applications”)
Step 5: View campus address in this box on the screen. To update campus information, click on "Change Campus Address" (See red arrow below)
Note: The “Department” and “Building” fields will appear exactly how the information is entered on this screen in the electronic and paper copy phonebook. To maintain data consistency for the campus building names, please use the building code chart provided by HR to enter the 2-digit building code. If you do NOT enter a valid 2-digit code into the “Building” field, the campus location field will be blank on the e-phonebook. In addition, please enter the full 10-digit phone number in the “Work Phone” field or you will get an error message.
Thank you for your cooperation.