Director of Library Services
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania invites applications for the position of Director of Library Services. The Director is responsible for the overall leadership and excellence of Library Services and reports to the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies in the Division of Academic and Student Affairs. The successful candidate will have the understanding and experience necessary to address the major challenges and roles of today's academic libraries, including the changing roles of libraries as providers of information and supporters of teaching and scholarship; as well as storage, delivery, and preservation of information in an electronic age; the effective use of physical space; and changes in scholarly communication. The Director provides leadership for strategic planning, budget development, faculty and staff evaluation and profession development, outcomes assessment, and fostering relationships with the community. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader with a track record of inspiring others and fostering library innovation. The Director should have the experience and professional qualifications necessary to support teamwork, set high standards, and support the mission of a public, comprehensive university. The University seeks a Director who has an open and collegial style and is committed to inclusiveness and cultural pluralism.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include:
· Plan, evaluate, revise, and implement library services, including staffing, collection development, budget, bibliographic control, public relations, building maintenance, and access to information resources
· Plan, develop, coordinate, implement, and evaluate immediate and long-range planning for the library
· Work with colleges on accreditations
· Ensure that services are provided and staffed adequately. Supervise and evaluate all functions and services.
· Recruit, supervise, evaluate and develop library personnel
· Maintain library's active participation in library organizations, technology user groups, and consortia
· ALA accredited MLS
· Minimum of three years of successful library administrative experience. An equivalent of other relevant library and leadership experience will be considered.
· A second masters and/or an earned doctorate
· Substantial knowledge in the following areas: library collections, services, and operations, fiscal and strategic planning and management, human resources management, and current and emerging information technologies.
· Demonstrated commitment to collaborative governance and participatory decision-making
· Evidence of continued scholarly growth
· Experience with collective bargaining environment
· Experience with accreditation of academic programs
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Evidence of commitment to or experience with diversity
A letter of interest, resume, and name, address, and phone number of three references should be email to Dr. John McCarthy, Search Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org). The review of applications will begin on August 30, 2013, and will continue until the position is filled. Successful interview, background clearance, and demonstration of ability are requisite qualifications for all positions. Kutztown University is an AA/EOE member of the PA State System of Higher Education and actively solicits applications from women and minority candidates.