What is ESS?
Employee Self-Service (ESS) is a web-based service that provides employees with personal information related to their employment with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE). The information covers:
- Personal Information (personal data, address, emergency contact and bank information)
- Benefits (medical, life/ADD insurance, long-term disability, flexible spending and retirement)
- Leave & Time (view balances and absences & staff employees can submit leave requests)
- Payroll (pay statement and W-4)
- W-2 available online (optional)
Is it secure?
The level of security is similar to accessing commercial sites such as banks and requires secured password access.
How do I gain access to ESS?
Employee Self-Service requires an employee's username and password.
What is my username and password?
This is the same username and password you use for KU email, to log into the network, etc. Your username should be entered in this format: email@example.com (full email address).
How do I access the ESS system?
1. Go to Kutztown University
2. Click on Faculty and Staff
3. Click on Employee Self-Service, in the left hand column
Directly from the main PASSHE website at https://portal.passhe.edu/irj/portal . Be sure to turn off any pop-up blockers.
Can I change any of the information in the system?
You can change:
- Emergency contact information
- W-4 for federal tax withholding
- Primary telephone number
- Ethnicity/race information
- Education information
- Limited benefits enrollment
- Submit leave requests (non-instructional staff only)
- Enroll for electronic W-2 delivery
- Primary direct deposit account can be added/changed
Any other changes should be communicated to the payroll staff via Ask HR
What if I encounter problems trying to access the site?
What if I have questions about ESS, or my data on ESS?
Please send a message via Ask HR
Where can I get more details on ESS?
- ESS Leave Entry Quick Start
- ESS Leave Request Notification Email Auto-Forward
- ESS Approval Notification Email Auto-Forward
Further details on how to use ESS and all its features can be found on any one of these sites.