Student Staff Coordinator
Position Job Description
The Student Staff Coordinator position is one of the most important, influential and rewarding leadership opportunity available to students. Student Staff Coordinators are experienced, undergraduate (junior or senior) members of the Housing and Residence Life Team. The Student Staff Coordinator is supervised by the Resident Director and is responsible to the Assistant Director in the areas of scheduling and timecards. He/She is responsible for the efficient day to day operation of the front desk, as well as assisting the Resident Director in the areas of staff supervision, leadership development, and administrative tasks. The Student Staff Coordinator is a live-in, student employment position within Housing and Residence Life.
The Student Staff Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the Community Assistants and Desk Receptionists in areas related to community development, responsible community membership, position expectations, programming, desk functions and administration, timecards and scheduling.
The Student Staff Coordinator establishes a rapport with residence hall staff and assists these staff in the adjustment to the staff role and community living. He/She clearly articulates the staff role regarding the communication and implementation of the University policies and Housing and Residence Life procedures to staff and residents and is available to counsel, advise and refer staff as appropriate.
The Student Staff Coordinator, under the direction of the Resident Director, assists in developing staff through participation with recruitment, selection, training and evaluation processes.
The Student Staff Coordinator, under the direction of the Resident Director, provides assistance and active support for the development and implementation of programming which supports the academic mission and community development within the hall.
The Student Staff Coordinator, under the direction of the Resident Director, performs the duties necessary to maintain the efficient functioning and monitoring of all desk and mailroom operations within the hall. These duties include, but are not limited to, scheduling, logbook management, guest registration, key and equipment inventory and control, mail and package tracking and distribution, safety and security functions, emergency communication processes, and keeping appropriate files/forms accessible.
The Student Staff Coordinator establishes and publishes a weekly and weekend work schedule for the Community Assistants and the Desk Receptionists, including scheduling himself/herself 8 hours a week. The Student Staff Coordinator maintains a scheduled office hour each week.
The Student Staff Coordinator will assist the Resident Director in developing and advising an effective group of student leaders for Hall Council.
The Student Staff Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the Resident Director in overseeing the administrative tasks of the residence hall.
The Student Staff Coordinator is responsible for the efficient opening and closings of the hall, relative to scheduling, administration, and supervision.
The Student Staff Coordinator intervenes with students whose behaviors are not appropriate for the residence community. He/She reports violation of federal, state, and/or local laws and infraction of the University Conduct Guidelines. The Student Staff Coordinator themselves, will participate in the in hall duty rotation.
The Student Staff Coordinator is responsible to serve as a liaison with student, student staff and professional staff within Housing and Residence Life. He/She is responsible for communicating Housing and Residence Life processes, procedures, activities, programs, issues and concerns between the Housing and Residence Life Office and resident staff and students.
The Student Staff Coordinator performs other duties as assigned by the Resident Director, Assistant Director, Associate Director, or Director of Housing and Residence Life.
The position responsibilities for the Student Staff Coordinator Position are as follows:
Academic & Staff Conduct
- Maintain a cumulative GPA each semester of a 2.50
- Remain in good judicial standing with the University
- Refrain from making statements to the media that would reflect negatively on the department. Additionally SSC's will refrain from creating posts on the various social media posts ( Twitter, Facebook, Snap Chat, Instagram, etc.) that would reflect negatively on the department or depict behaviors what would be unbecoming of a Housing and Residence Life Staff member.
- Romantic or preferential relationships with staff members working within the hall in which the SSC is serving are prohibited.
- Be enrolled full-time, maintaining academic progress (24 credits per academic year).
- Should a staff member be released from their position or should they resign, they will be reassigned to a room in a different hall.
Training & Staff Development
- Attend SSC training sessions held during the Spring 2016 semester
- Be present for the Fall Staff meeting held in April of 2016
- Be present for Fall 2016 Student Staff Training starting August
- Facilitate in hall training sessions with the Resident Director
- Present of Co-present one session
- Assist with the facilitation of Student Conduct Day
- Complete Protection of Minors and Clery Training on D2L annually
- Attend 3 continued trainings a semester
- Facilitate one in hall continued training session a semester for the staff
- Assist with Staff Recruitment
- Participate in the interviewing of DR Candidates
- Assist Resident Direct in the evaluation of the CA and DR Staff
Serve as a Resource for Staff:
- Answer questions
- Ensure the staff understands university's policies and procedures
- Serve as a liaison between the student staff and resident director
- Plan two staff socials a semester
- Work with Resident to plan team builders and ice breakers during training and through the school year.
- Assist RD in the recognition of staff members.
Meet all set deadlines
- Following the appropriate protocol for documenting situations.
Front Desk Operations:
- Work with the Resident Director to supervise the Desk Receptionists
- Ensure desk is stocked with necessary forms and supplies
- Oversee the completion of the Desk Log
- Address procedural errors as they arise.
Oversees the scheduling of the front desk
- Work with the DR's to create a schedule
- Schedule themselves for 8 desk hours a week
Oversee the scheduling of the CA duty rotation.
- Work with the CA's to create a duty schedule
- Schedule themselves for 6 duty nights a semester, two of which need to be over a weekend.
Provide copies of the most up to date schedules to the appropriate individuals
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of time cards by the Desk Receptionists.
- Work with the Desk Receptionists to correct errors.
- Turn in corrected time cards into Assistant Director
- Oversee the setup of the mailroom
- Ensure that the staff is following the appropriate protocol for receiving, logging, and distributing mail
- Keep mailroom neat and organized
- Responsible for making the daily updates to the rosters
- Email email@example.com once updates have been made
- Maintain Common Area, Key (where applicable), and Recreational Equipment inventories.
- Complete Roster Audits
- Attend and play an active role in staff meeting each week
- Hold one posted office hour each week
- Meet daily with the Resident Director
- Attend bi-weekly SSC meeting Thursdays at 11:00am.
Assist With Opening and Closing of Building:
- Schedule the staff
- Oversee Opening and Closing tasks
- Return early and stay late
Other Duties as Assigned
- Be in good academic standing
- Abide by University policies and remain in good judicial standing.
- Develop and maintain relationships with residents and University personnel.
- Be familiar with campus resources and services.
- Assist the residents in their understanding of campus policies and procedures
- Serve as a resource for Community Assistants in the area of programming
- Support, promote, and attend CA Programs
- Oversee the collaborative efforts of the Community Assistants in one All Hall Program each semester.
- Coordinate one faculty program or initiative each semester
- Maintain the bulletin board behind the front desk
- Serve in an in hall duty rotation
- Enforce University Policy. Confront inappropriate behavior.
- Assistant on call GSE and Public Safety with emergency situations when necessary.
- Serve as a mandatory reporter
- Follow the appropriate protocol for documenting situations and behaviors.
- Follow the appropriate protocol for the use of the lock block key, I-Key, or Master Swipes.
- Assist in hall council recruitment
- Assist the Resident Director in developing and advising an effective group of student leaders in hall council
- Attend hall council weekly hall council meetings
The Student Staff Coordinator compensation package includes:
A room assignment in one of our residence halls (suite or traditional style at the cost of a traditional hall double occupancy room ($2776.00 per semester)
A $6000 stipend for the length of the academic year. Stipend is divided and distributed on the Kutztown University student payroll schedule (every two weeks) during the days in which the student is contracted in the position.
Contract length: one academic year. The Student Staff Coordinator contract begins in August 2016 and terminates at the close of finals in Spring 2017 semester.
There are currently no positions available for a 2016-2017 SSC position.