The Office of Housing, Residence Life and Dining Services of Kutztown University promotes a safe environment, which encourages responsible decision making by members of the community. Recognizing student rights and responsibilities, as well as the role of the department in fostering student development, the visitation policy of the Housing and Residential Services Office of Kutztown University consists of gradual levels of student responsibility based on class rank, education and individual preferences.
Escort -Visitors must be accompanied by their host when moving about in the residence hall they are visiting.
Freshman -Any first-time resident student with 30 or less earned credits.
Host -The resident student living in the hall and/or room where the visitation option is being exercised.
Identification (ID)- Formal identification is required. Types of acceptable ID are: validated college ID, valid driver's license, valid ID with name and picture or name and address of presenter/visitor.
Parental (guardian) Permission Form -Students who are not of the age of majority must provide parental or legal guardian's approval for visitation rights covered in this policy. This form is no longer needed once a student turns 18.
Pre-registration -The process by which any student who has a visitor or visitors arriving after 11:59 PM on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evening notifies the hall desk of the anticipated arrival of a guest. The information needed to pre-register includes visitor's name, type of ID, anticipated time of arrival, and anticipated length of stay.
Sign-in -The process by which host and visitor(s) are recognized as participating in visitation. Resident students, as hosts, are responsible for registering visitors at the hall desk during prescribed hours. Host and visitor report to the hall desk where the host presents the visitor's ID and own information. The visitor's identification is kept at the desk while the visitor is signed into the hall. The visitor is issued a visitor's pass in exchange for his/her identification. IDs are returned to the visitor when the pass is returned.
Visitor -A Visitor is considered anyone not residing in that particular residence hall including: resident students from an opposite gender wing, floor, suite, or apartment (first-time resident freshman), resident students from another hall, commuting students, students living off-campus, family, friends, acquaintances, etc.
Freshmen (first semester of on-campus residency only):
Regular visitation/limited weekend
Weekdays: Monday to Thursday from 9:00 am to 12:00 midnight
Weekends: Friday from 9:00 am to Saturday 2:00 am; Saturday from 9:00 am to Sunday 2:00 am; Sunday from 9:00 am to Sunday 12:00 midnight.
Freshmen may have same-gender visitation overnight on weekends throughout the first semester of on-campus residence.
Upperclassmen: 24-hour per day, 7 days a week Visitation
Visitation Policy- Operation of the visitation policy includes the following:
· Visitation assignments begin the evening of the first day of class each semester and summer session.
· Each resident student may host up to three visitors at one time.
· Resident students, as hosts, are responsible for the behavior of their non-Kutztown University visitors. Kutztown University students are accountable for their own conduct at all times.
· All visitors (and resident students) must enter and exit the building by way of the main entrance.
· The host must escort visitors at all times while in the hall.
· Visitors must sign-in (except in GBVS, GBVW, and Honors apartments) with a host by presenting valid ID at the desk with their host beginning at 8:00 PM until the end of visiting hours as outlined in the Freshmen Visitation Assignment listed above. Upperclassmen must sign-in guest beginning at 8:00 PM and sign them out within 72 hours). If the desk area is closed the host must return and check-out for their guest once the desk is open. Visitation passes MUST be returned at check-out.
· Host students may only have overnight visitors (when permitted) for three nights during a seven day period.
· Visitors arriving after 11:59 PM on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evening must be pre-registered at the desk by the host informing the hall desk of visitor's name, type of visitor identification, time of arrival, and length of stay.
· Residents are responsible for informing visitors that presentation of a valid ID is required at the time of sign-in for evening/nighttime visitation. Failure to provide ID will result in denial of entrance into the residence hall during periods when sign-in is in effect.
· Each Hall Council is responsible in the determination of visitation hours within the lobby and recreation areas of their residence hall. This policy must be in the hall council minutes and all residents must be made aware of that policy. This policy benefits freshmen only due to limited visitation during their first semester living on-campus.
· After one semester of on-campus residency freshmen will follow the upperclassmen visitation assignments.
See your building director if you are interested in one of these options. More Restrictive Visitation Options
No visitation at any time except during weekends selected by the residents and approved by the Housing and Residential Services Office.
Limited Weekend Visitation (weekends only)
Weekdays: no visitation
Weekends: Friday from 9:00 am to Saturday 2:00 am; Saturday from 9:00 am to Sunday 2:00 am; Sunday from 9:00 am to Sunday 12:00 midnight
The professional staff of the Housing, Residence Life and Dining Services Office may grant exceptions to certain aspects of the visitation policy; as well as reserves the right to restrict this policy.