a) All decorations in common areas in the residence hall and apartments must take into consideration that obscene, distasteful displays which are demeaning to an individual's or group's race, ethnic, religious background, and/or gender or ability, will not be permitted and will be removed immediately, at the discretion of Housing and Residential Services.
b) All decorations must be properly removed and properly discarded by the established deadlines set by Housing and Residential Services.
c) In order to conserve energy and uphold fire and safety regulations, the following guidelines have been adopted to regulate decorations in the residence halls, suites, and apartments:
1. The preferred medium for hanging posters is clear tape. However, Old Main residents may not use tape or adhesive products, and should only utilize the tack strips provided.
2. Students are not permitted to paint student rooms, including all apartments. If there is any problem with the walls or ceilings, please contact your building director.
3. The placing of stickers or stars on walls, ceilings, or furnishings is prohibited.
4. The possession or use of metal-tip darts and dartboards in the residence halls and apartments is prohibited. Velcro, magnetic, and suction-cup style darts are permitted.
Doors, Windows, and Ceilings:
1. No items (including string lights) may be attached to, or hung from the ceiling, including light fixtures, or in any corridor or walkway area.
2. Student room door decorations are limited to a single dry erase board, and the door name tags which the Housing and Residential Services staff provides. The room number must be visible. At no time may any item on a student room door extend into the corridor.
3. Decorations may not be hung from door to door, over the lights, or across the corridor or walkway areas.
4. No lights, including string lights or other electrical apparatus may be used to decorate in corridor or walkway areas, including student room doors or windows.
5. Students who wish to decorate windows or mirrors should use only water-soluble paint. Add liquid soap to wet paint when applying to ease paint removal. It is the responsibility of anyone who decorates the windows and/or mirrors to remove the paint at the conclusion of the event or prior to checkout whichever is earlier.
6. University installed light fixtures may only have university-issued bulbs. Students living in apartments, however, will need to provide their own light bulbs. The use of halogen light bulbs in the residence halls and apartments is strictly prohibited.
7. Standing or hanging any kind of object or container outside of the window sill is prohibited.
Damage charges will be assessed for:
1. Excessive uncleanliness, mutilation or marring of walls or ceilings with pens, tacks, nails, stickers, adhesive tape, etc.
2. Marking walls or ceilings with chalk, crayons, paints, etc.
3. Damage to room furnishings, or any abuse to a resident's room and/or University owned contents that exceed the limits of normal wear and tear.
Of Special Note:
1. The use of alcohol bottles or cans for decorative purposes is prohibited in the residence halls, suites, and apartments and will be viewed as evidence of possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages.
2. The use of open flames is prohibited in the residence halls, suites, or apartments. CANDLES (in any form) or burning incense IS PROHIBITED.
3. The standing or arranging of furniture in a manner unintended of its purpose and use is prohibited. Furniture may not be arranged in such a manner that it creates an obstruction in front of the door or window.
4. Furniture may not be removed from any designated room or apartment. Furniture must remain on the floor in upright position.
5. Live trees, boughs, and corn stalks are not permitted in any residence hall, suite, or apartment at any time.
6. There may be special circumstances (e.g. wing/hall decoration contests) for which these rules may be modified. These particular situations, approved at least one week in advance, will be under the supervision of the Coordinator and the Associate Director of Housing and Residential Services.
Lights, Light Bulbs, Electrical Decorations:
In order to conserve energy and comply with fire and safety regulations, the following guidelines have been adopted to regulate electrical decorations in the residence halls, suites, and apartments:
a) University installed light fixtures may only use university-issued bulbs. Students living in apartments, however, will need to provide their own light bulbs for portable lamps. The use of halogen light bulbs in the residence halls and apartments is prohibited.
b) No lights, including string lights or other electrical fixtures may be used to decorate in corridor or walkway areas, including student room doors or windows.
c) No items (including string lights) may be attached to, or hung from the ceiling, including light fixtures, or in any corridor or walkway area.
d) Lamps, other than those provided by the university, may only use 60 watt (or less) CFL light bulbs. NO HALOGEN BULBS are permitted in the residence halls, suite style halls, or apartments.