A variety of educational materials and programs are available to the campus community. Programs can be requested by contacting Frances Cortez Funk, Director of Health Promotion Services, at 610-683-4082.
AlcoholEdu for College and Haven is provided as a continued CONNECTIONS experience for first-year undergraduate and first-year transfer undergraduate students.
Kutztown University requires that all incoming, first time students complete AlcoholEdu for College and Haven as part of their continued CONNECTIONS experience. Kutztown University feels strongly that all students transitioning to take these courses so they have a foundation of knowledge about alcohol and sexual assault prevention. The incoming students for the 2016/2017 academic year will receive information on how access the account (August) prior to the start of their academic year. For more information contact the director, Frances C. Cortez Funk.
BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention of College Students) is a preventive alcohol abuse intervention program for college students 18 to 24 years old.
BASICS is designed to help students make better alcohol-use decisions. The program's style is not confrontational or judgmental, and it:
- Reduces the adverse effects of alcohol consumption
- Promotes reduced drinking
- Promotes healthier choices among young adults
- Provides important information and coping skills for risk reduction.
If you are interested in learning more about BASICS and/or would like to set up an appointment please contact Kutztown University's AOD Team.
Alcohol & Other Drugs (AOD) Awareness
- "AOD Challenge" students test their knowledge on AOD and current trivia
- "Boozed and Confused" interactive activities where students navigate through an obstacle course of life and challenges
- "Pill Popping Culture" it's in your medicine cabinet
- "SOBER choices" an interactive informational display table
- "WEED" an interactive informational display table
- "Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT) screenings" where students have an opportunity to examine their individual choices
- "HIGH BINGO" an interactive and learning activity
- "Party Tips" making smart choices, responsibility, safety, and decision making skills in a social situation
Lifestyles of the College Student
- "Cold & Flu Awareness" an interactive informational display table
- "Nutrition Matters Series" eating healthy in a college environment
- "Germs!" highlights the importance of prevention practices
- "SOS" stomping out stress
- "Pink Party" young women about breast cancer and about strategies for early detection
- "Stress Free Zone" a workshop designed to assist students in the exercise of relaxation
- "Spring Cleaning" simplify your life
- "Love the Skin you're in" skin care
- "Fight Club" responsible conflict resolution
- "Snooze" informal discussion on how to improve your sleeping patterns in college
Relationships and Sexual Health
- "Condom Obstacle Course" an interactive workshop designed for laughter and knowledge
- "HIV/AIDS Awareness" current and contemporary issues facing individuals in HIV/AIDS prevention, diagnosis and treatment
- "SEXY & SAFE" an interactive informational display table
- "Sexy Chat" a program where students talk about SEX *
- "Healthy Relationships" love, lust, and everything in between
Tobacco Awareness and Cessation
- "Get Lit" modern smoking prevention
- "Thinking of Quitting" considering breaking-up with tobacco and exploring your readiness
- "Tobacco Cessation" resources available to assist students in living a tobacco-free lifestyle