Helpful Resources for Parents/Families
College Tips For Parents is an informational website designed to educate and inform parents and families of current and future college students. The site offers useful tips and advice for supportive parenting. This site is endorsed by the National Orientation Directors Association.
Other Helpful Resources:
- 133 Ways to Avoid Going Cuckoo When the Kids Fly the Nest: A Parent's Guide for Surviving the Empty Nest Syndrome
By: Lauren Schaffer and Sandy Fleischl Wasserman
- 2,002 Ways To Cheer Yourself Up
By: Cyndi Haynes (1998)
- Almost Grown: Launching Your Child from High School to College
By: Patricia Pasick
- Bringing Home the Laundry: Effective Parenting for College and Beyond
By Janis Brody
- Campus Daze, Easing the Transition from High School to College
By: George Gibbs (2000)
- Caring for the Mind: The Comprehensive Guide to Mental Health
By: Dianne Hales and Robert E. Hales
- College of the Overwhelmed
- The Debt-Free Graduate: How to Survive College or University Without Going Broke
By: Murray Baker (2000)
- Don't Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years
By: Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller
- Doors Open from Both Sides Margo Woodacre
By: Steffany Bane (2001)
- An Educated Choice: Advice for Parents of College Bound Students
By: Frank A. Brock (2002)
- The Empty Nest: When Children Leave Home
By: Shelley Bovey 1995
- Empty Nest, Full Heart: The Journey from Home to College
By: Andrea Van Steenhouse 2002
- Empty-Nest Parenting: Adjusting Your Stewardship as Your Children Leave Home
By: Richard M. Eyre 2002
- A Family Guide to Academic Advising Smith
By: Donald C. & Gordon, Virginia N. (2003). National Academic Advising Association, National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition.
- Getting Ready for College: Everything You Need to Know before You Go from Bike Locks to Laundry Baskets, Financial Aid to Health Care
By: Polly Berent, Foreword by Robert Franek
- A Guide for Families of Commuter Students
By: Cathie Hatch, Tracy Skipper
- Guide to the College Years
By: Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller
- Helping Your College Student Succeed: The Parent's Crash Course in Career Planning
Harris, Marcia B., & Jones, Sharon L. (2007). Career Dimensions.
- Helping your first-year college student succeed: A guide for parents. South Carolina: The National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition
By: Mullendore, R.H. & Hatch, C. (2000).
- How to Get the Most Out of College
By: Nancy Schlossberg and Arthur Chickering
- How to Help Your Teenager Find the Right Career Charles Shield (1995)
- How to Survive and Thrive on an Empty Nest: Reclaiming Your Life When Your Children Have Grown
By: Robert Lauer (1999).
- I'll Miss You Too: A Parent and Student Guide to Opening Doors and Staying Connected During the College Years
By: Margo E. Bane Woodacre, and Steffany Bane. Sourcebooks Inc., 2005.
- In addition to tuition: The parent's survival guide to freshman year of college
By: Borden, Marian Edelman, Burlinson, Mary Anne, & Kearns, Elsie R. (1995).New York: Facts On File, Inc.
- The Launching Years: Strategies for Parenting from Senior to College Life
By: Laura Kastner and Jennifer Fugett Wyatt
- Lesson: Fable For Our Times
By: Carol Lynn Pearson & Kathleen Peterson (2000)
- Let the Journey Begin: A Parent's Monthly Guide to the College Experience
By: Jacqueline MacKay and Wanda Ingram
- Letting Go: A Parent's Guide to Understanding the College Years
By: Karen Levin Cobum and Madge Lawrence Treger
- Life during college: Valuable Advice & Tips for Success. Virginia: Life After Graduation, LLC.
By: Ricchini, J. & Arndt, T. (2002).
- Millennials Go to College: Strategies for a New Generation on Campus by William Strauss
- Millenials Rising
By: Neil Howe, William Strauss, R.J. Matson (2000)
- A new beginning: A survival guide for parents of college freshmen (1998)
By: McGarry, Kaye
- A New Chapter: How Parents Fit Into Their Students' Lives at College. 8-page pamphlet published by PaperClip Communications
- Once My Child, Now My Friend Elinor Lenz (1985) ISBN: 0446328804
- Organizing a Ground Crew for Today's Helicopter Parents
By: Coburn, Karen Levin (2006). About Campus, July-August.
- Parents' Guide to College Life: 181 Straight Answers on Everything You can Expect Over the Next Four Years
By: Robins Raskin. Princeton Review, 2006.
- A Parent's Guide to Sex, Drugs, and Flunking Out : Answers to the Questions Your College Student Doesn't Want You to Ask
By: Joel Epstein
- The Parent Project: What parents want from the college experience
By: Turrentine, Cathryn; Shnure, Stacey L.; Ostroth, D. David; & Ward-Roof, Jeannine A.(2000). NASPA Journal, 38, 1, 31-43.
- Rising Millennials Face Worldview Conflict
By: Shirley A. Carson
- She's Leaving Home: Letting Go As Daughter Goes to College
By: Connie Jones
- Staying Connected Arnett, Jeffrey (2000). Emerging Adulthood: A theory of development from late teens through the twenties. American Psychologist, 55, 469-480.
- Students and Their Parents: Where do Campuses Fit in?
By: Forbes, Karen J. (2001). About Campus, September-October, 11-17.
- Tuesdays With Morrie Mitch Albom(2002)
- The Truth About College: 50 Lessons for Parents Before They Start Writing Checks
By: Will Keim, Will S. Keim (1997)
- The Ultimate College Survival Guide
By: Janet Farrar Worthington and Ronald T. Farrar
- When Hope and Fear Collide: A Portrait of Today's College Student
By: Arthur Levine (1998)
- When Kids Go Home: A Parent's Guide to Changing Relationships
By: Barbara M. Newman and Philip R. Newman
- When kids go to college: A parent's guide to changing relationships
By: Newman, Barbara M., & Newman, Philip R. (1992). Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University Press.
- When Your Kid Goes to College; A Parents Survival Guide
By: Carol Barkin
- When Your Kids Go To College
By: Lucantoni N. Salvi, Michael J. Hunt (1994)
- Why parents of undergraduates matter to higher education
By: Ross, Scott B. & Daniel, Bonnie V. (2001). New Directions for Student Services, 94, 1-89.
- Words to Live By: A Journal of Wisdom for Someone You Love
Emily Marshall, Kate Marshall (2005)
- You're On Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years
By: Marjorie Savage 2003
Websites of Interest to Parents & Families
- Society For Adolescent Health and Medicine: A multidisciplinary organization of health professionals
- College Parents of America
- TODAY - MSNBC: How to enjoy the summer and avoid a clash with your college kids
- Reslife.net: An online resource providing information on college and university residence life and housing
- Security On Campus, Inc.: Information regarding campus safety issues nationwide.
- The US Department of Education's site (www.ed.gov) provides a variety of information on education including information on financial aid and career planning.
- Preparing Your Child For College
- Start Here Go Further