Study Abroad Opportunities
There are many opportunities to study abroad, including faculty-led summer programs, exchanges, programs offered by other PASSHE institutions or other U.S. colleges and universities and through International Education Organizations. In some ways, the process of searching for and selecting a study abroad program is a lot like the college search process. Factors to consider include location, language proficiency requirements, time of year, costs, financial aid, and housing, to name a few. Review the information below to start researching possible study abroad programs. Attend an information session or visit the study abroad table to learn more about the process. Contact the International Office with any questions or if you are ready to begin the process to study abroad. The world awaits you!
The faculty-led summer program offerings vary each year, depending on faculty and student interest. Programs are typically finalized late in the fall semester, at which time students can begin to sign up for them. During Summer 2013, KU faculty led study abroad programs in Austria & Germany and Spain.
Summer 2014 program offerings:
Winter 2014-2015: London, England
Exchange programs offer students the chance to pay KU tuition & fees and then to pay room & board to the host institution and to use their financial aid award, making it a very affordable study abroad option. KU currently has agreements with a university in Kenya for any major, Italy for criminal justice majors, Costa Rica for Spanish majors, and the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, and China for business majors.
Many of the other PA State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) universities and colleges and universities across the U.S. offer study abroad programs. The cost varies among the institutions. Students can use their financial aid for programs offered through other U.S. institutions. Below is a list of programs run by colleges and universities in the U.S. that KU students have utilized in the past.
- PASSHE Programs - Visit the PASSHE website to see summer study abroad course offerings and to be linked to other PASSHE study abroad office websites.
- College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) - KU affiliate with programs in over 30 countries (Australia, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, and more!) offered by colleges and universities in the U.S.
- National Student Exchange (NSE) Study Abroad programs - More study abroad programs through U.S. colleges & universities that are a member of NSE; gives students more potential study abroad options.
- Arcadia University - Administers over 140 study abroad programs, including internships.
- Temple University - Study abroad sites in Rome, Tokyo, and Oviedo, Spain.
There are many International Education Organizations (IEO) that partner with colleges, universities, and educational institutions around the world to offer study abroad programs. These programs typically offer both an academic component and an itinerary of cultural excursions in the program fee. The programs are highly supported with staff "on the ground" at the host institution/study abroad site that are typically available 24/7 for student support & assistance. Financial aid will only work with one IEO - Global Student Experiences (GSE). Other IEOs are listed for your reference and would be a possibility for students who do not receive financial aid (including all educational loans) or do not need their financial aid to help pay for the cost of studying abroad.
- Global Student Experiences (GSE) - KU affiliate with programs in Argentina, England, France, Italy, and Spain; financial aid will work with these programs. Mobile phone included in program cost.
- Academic Programs International (API)
- Global Links
- International Studies Abroad (ISA)
- The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)
Study Away Events
Plan to attend the study abroad fair, an information session or visit a study away table to learn more about the opportunities that are available to you at KU!
Study Abroad Fair (includes NSE)
Wednesday, February 19
12 - 3 pm, MSU 218
Thursday, February 6
11 am - 12 pm, AF 102
Thursday, February 20
4 - 5 pm, AF 102
Thursday, March 6
11 am - 12 pm, AF 102
Thursday, March 27
4 - 5 pm, AF 102
International Studies Abroad (ISA)
Tuesday, February 11
10:00 am - 2:00 pm, MSU lobby
KU Study Abroad Office
Tuesdays, February 4 & 18, March 4 & 25, and April 8 & 22
10 am - 1 pm, MSU Lobby
Tuesday, April 29
4:30 - 6:30 pm, MSU 157