The Master of Social Work Program at Kutztown University focuses on the needs of the family in its social environment. During their study, MSW students are actively engaged with faculty experts in both exploring and enhancing their knowledge as it is related to the strengths and needs of the family in all its diverse forms. Students, faculty and human service providers collaborate to provide service to families at risk, intervene with families in crisis, connect clients to causes and change the social environment to support the families of today and the families of tomorrow.
Students develop a clear understanding and ability to practice generalist social work in their foundation year of study. The advanced year provides a concentration, developing depth, breadth, and specificity in knowledge on the family in its social environment. Students develop further specialization through elective course offerings and a 960-hour agency-based practicum experience. This specialized program of study is achieved through each student's choice of six, 1-credit elective courses from a broad range of topics, from therapeutic interventions to agency administration and policy development.
The 64 credit (44 credit for advanced standing) MSW program may be completed in a variety of face to face and on-line formats for full and part-time schedules including a weekend executive design.
MSW Program Goals
The MSW program is tailored to help students prepare to meet specific goals:
· Integrate Theory into Practice: To help graduates use critical thinking and integrate liberal arts and professional knowledge, values and skills into the development of a generalist perspective for social work practice with individuals, families, groups, communities and organizations.
· Celebrate Diversity: To help graduates recognize the value of human diversity, acquire knowledge related to diverse populations for professional practice, and acquire skills for change to redress economic and social injustice.
· Conduct Policy Practice: To prepare graduates to understand social policy and its impact upon professional practice and to participate in efforts to assure that policy responds to human needs.
· Assume Professional Identity: To motivate graduates to assume responsibility for continuing professional growth and development.
· Incorporate Family-in-Environment Practice Perspective: To produce advanced generalist practitioners with a knowledge concentration in family in environment who are able to respond with multi-level practice to the needs of the institution of the family so that its members realize their fullest potential for personal fulfillment and social contribution.
· Gain Specialized Knowledge: To promote an effective, efficient and humane social service delivery network in the program service area through community need-driven, specialized knowledge.
· Conduct Autonomous Practice: To graduate autonomous practitioners with a clear professional identity, including commitment to the NASW Code of Ethics and identified needs for future professional growth.
Graduates of the KU MSW are eligible for professional state licensure. For career opportunities in the field of Social Work click on the following link: Social Work Careers
- Art Education
- Communication Design (MFA)
- Computer Science
- Computer Science- Information Technology
- Computer Science- Professional Science Master's (PSM)
- Counseling-Mental Health
- Couples, Marital and Family Therapy
- Elementary Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Instructional Technology
- Library Science
- MBA-Master of Business Administration
- Public Administration
- School Counseling
- Secondary Education
- Social Work
- Student Affairs in Higher Education - Administration
- Supervisory Certificate: Curriculum and Instruction
Official transcripts from previous colleges or universities (non-KU), GRE, personal and social issues essays, 3 letters of recommendation. Applicants from KU with a BSW must submit 3 letters of recommendation. All other requirements are waived. Students who possess a BSW from another accredited institution will receive a waiver of GRE's. Detailed list of requirements for MSW: